Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Joe Pelton hand 25k Bellagio....are you folding in this spot??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"

The key hand was earlier though. I was back up to 45k. Grinder limps, I make it 1k with 76. Carlos Zambrano (who I didn’t know yet) calls, and Grinder calls.

Flop comes 662.

Grinder checks. I bet 2,100. Carlos calls and Grinder makes it 10k more with like 3k left behind. I make it another 10k and Carlos then moves all in having us both covered. My instinct was to call (I had a little more than 20k left) but I took some time to think about it, he could have 22 a bigger 6…the only hands he might push with are AsKs which I would have thought he’d raise with by now. After a long time I folded. He had AA and beat grinders KJ. I should have had 100k instead of 20k.

First time in my life I made a big fold and it backfires."

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question, are you laying this hand down in that spot? (obv considering the magnitude of this particular tourney). I know someone can 'always have x-x' in this spot, but isn't this what you are hoping for when coming in for 1k w/ 76s. You hit, you lead out for 2100......?? Also, the flat call with aces threw me off a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is committed to the hand, he might well be best just smooth calling the raise on the flop, then trying to get the rest of Carlos' chips on the turn.

Obviously, this is somewhat off-topic (as he was clearly not fully committed), but think about it--this line would have gotten him the big payoff, because Carlos would have popped it from behind his smooth call, which wouldn't have prompted the laydown.

But that's really just results-oriented.

My real point is that the 3-bet is debatable, I think, with the Grinder obviously allin for all intents and purposes.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if the guy with AA thought he was the nuts with his AA and joe read him for that, then meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Joe, that summary is close and i have had too much recent personal history with calling off my money badly which factored in.

But it was a bad fold regardless.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Anyway you are an excellent player and a very good blogger. Really sorry about this fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Hey Joe, we played forever next to each other at Legends of Poker and then again at Foxwoods. Stick around the boards man.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Impossible to evaluate when we know the hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Just look at the action and decide what you think the correct play is. Seems simple enough.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:16 PM

making it another 10k on the flop is horrible.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 PM

honestly, my first instinct was that carlos could easily have AA here and generally, i dont think you should be folding your trips in that spot. before reading results i did have to think for a while about whether id fold or not but then decided its too likely carlos just likes his overpair so i have to call. also, joe pelton has a crazy pf image, indicated by raising with stuff like this which makes it even more of a call. his image is what got grinder to squeeze. however, because i had to think a little i cant fault him too much for folding. also, joe probably gets really good reads on people and when a guy shoves there with AA he thinks its the nuts, so joe basically might have gotten a read that carlos was really strong, which makes calling that much more difficult.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--honestly, my first instinct was that carlos could easily have AA

-- his image is what got grinder to squeeze.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Bingo Bango, Vance!!'

Well put.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:00 AM

The main point which every1 is missing is that YOU raised a limper so the caller is not putting you on AA , especially when u make your continuation bet on the flop! He isnt trying to get you to fold a 6 yet getting you allin there b/c he puts you on TT-KK... Dont post what happens in the hand and you'll get more honest answers and opinions though...I usually dont say i would call/fold because you have to be in moment and go from your reads but I can 100% say IM NEVER FOLDING IN THIS SPOT and if he has you beat nh, gg, and gl...
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 AM

i apologize, i meant the caller with AA is not puttin you on a 6