Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Tentative Italy Vacation Itinerary

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments so far... quick question that's probably dumb.

If I show up in a city with not too much luggage... what do I do with that stuff in the morning if I have not yet been able to check-in to a hotel? Can you have the hotel that you are eventually going to check into hold it for you until check-in time?

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience hotels generally have rooms where you can store your luggage.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments so far... quick question that's probably dumb.

If I show up in a city with not too much luggage... what do I do with that stuff in the morning if I have not yet been able to check-in to a hotel? Can you have the hotel that you are eventually going to check into hold it for you until check-in time?

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah your hotel will let you leave your luggage with them. In general they will pretty much let you do anything you want as long as you're staying there.

EDIT: Definitely don't just see the main island of Venice, try to see the others esp Burano as well.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 AM

skip Milan...the rest of Italy is awesome though

Florence was my favorite, went there twice.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 AM

If you don't have too much luggage, you can always dump it at the train station. They usually have some sort of service or lockers for a reasonable price. This is assuming you're travelling by train.

Also, I loved Bologna when I went there, but I only stayed there for the day...Enjoy!

There's more on Italy in a guids thread in the Diablo forum: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

adsman,

i'm not trying to say it is a terrible city or anything, but on a 10 day italy trip do you really think verona is a must see?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM

I've travelled extensively and I've repeatedly the same mistake that you are about to make. Do not try and cram an entire country into a 12 day trip. Pick 3 spots, see them thoroughly and relax.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 AM

I've been eight times to Naples; it's my favourite city.
I've not been to Gallery Capodimonte in Naples, but the surrounding park is over-rated.

Instead, if the weather's good take a walk around Parco Virgiliano (you can get a bus there from the centre) and enjoy the amazing view at the top:
http://www.paestum.de/jpg/napoli/napol6466_75.jpg

In the centre of town is a fantastic botanical garden - thousands of varieties of exotic plants and flowers and just a really nice place to walk around. Opening hours can are restricted, though. It's near St Elmo's castle which I'd recommend going up.

There's an incredible view if you climb to the top of Castel dell'Ovo on the seafront:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castel_dell%27Ovo

and you can have coffee and ice-cream from one of the many places at the base.

I guess I am saying go to parks and castles rather than museums!

The seafront in Mergillina at night is a great place to stroll around, see the other people out strolling around, and eat the best ice-cream.

Di Matteo's is the place always recommended for pizza, and you can't go wrong there but anywhere with the 'Vera Pizza' sign will be wonderful.

It's a pity you won't have time for Capri!

In general I think 10 days is not enough time for you to go to see so much of Italy, unless it's with a view to returning on future visits to places you really liked and want to see more of.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've travelled extensively and I've repeatedly the same mistake that you are about to make. Do not try and cram an entire country into a 12 day trip. Pick 3 spots, see them thoroughly and relax.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is good if he plans on making it to Italy again at some point. For people who aren't sure they will have that opportunity, his schedule is fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Going to Italy and skipping the Cinque Terre is a horrible idea.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 AM

For me how much I enjoy visiting a city depends entirely on whether I know people there.

I went to Milan in 2000, didn't know anybody, had a dingy room in a cheap hotel and found my being there was completely pointless. It is not a youth-hostel/backpacker type of place, more like a Western European business city. But then in 2003 an Italian friend had moved there, I went back, stayed with him, and had a great time because I was being introduced to people and he knew where to go.

Similarly I went to Florence on the same trip in 2000 and found it filled with coach-loads of tourists and although I kinda enjoyed sight-seeing, I didn't have so much fun as when I went back in 2004 with Italian friends who knew where the good parties were.

Are you going on your own, or with friends / girlfriend? If you're on your own, try to make friends while you're there and be easy about changing your plans.

Your route looks like you're doubling back on yourself a bit... surely there is a more geographically efficient way to do it!