Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: poverty

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, there must be an economic use of "productive" that is related to ROI, then... as in, purely economic.

As to the second part- that's my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't imagine any definition of productivity where a teacher would even come close to touching bonds.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM

A high percentage of the people who are homeless are people who suffer from schizophrenia. A while back we decided it was too expensive to take care of these people in hospitals so we put them on the streets and give them drugs and hope the medicate themselves. Quality play on our part.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A high percentage of the people who are homeless are people who suffer from schizophrenia. A while back we decided it was too expensive to take care of these people in hospitals so we put them on the streets and give them drugs and hope the medicate themselves. Quality play on our part.

[/ QUOTE ]

"further in the backlash against social welfare policies in the 1980s, which lead to massive deinstitutionalisation and funding cuts. These changes led to the closing of many mental hospitals and the further reliance on local community care. Many former patients, instead of reintegrating successfully into society or receiving community treatment, simply wound up as homeless persons."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_...utionalization
Old 04-22-2007, 07:59 PM

As far as the US is concerned, most poor people are poor by choice. Not counting the physically, mentally and emotionally disabled, if you are poor in the US it is because you want to be poor, period.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the US is concerned, most poor people are poor by choice. Not counting the physically, mentally and emotionally disabled, if you are poor in the US it is because you want to be poor, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very naive.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, there must be an economic use of "productive" that is related to ROI, then... as in, purely economic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't imagine any definition of productivity where a teacher would even come close to touching bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on what you define as productivity (is there such a thing as indirect or secondary productivity? Or, I may be mistaking value vs. your economic productivity).

May we have your definition, please?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on what you define as productivity (is there such a thing as indirect or secondary productivity? Or, I may be mistaking value vs. your economic productivity).

May we have your definition, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make a long post about this earlier, but I didnt feel like writing it.

Basically, baseball players and other athletes stimulate production just by selling out stadiums with ridiculous ticket prices. They also sell merchandise which is expensive, and many top athletes have huge endorsement deals that help to sell products. People have to work hard, and produce things, in order to earn this money to be able to enjoy these things.

You could also argue that some college professors educate thousands of people that will make great economic productions in their lifetime, and are therefore more productive than any athlete could possibly be.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 PM

I guarantee you that I am not naive. As a matter of fact, I'll bet you $500.00 that I know more about poverty, first hand, than you do. I'll bet you another $500. that I could tell anyone who was not disabled, exactly what they need to do in order to not be poor, even you.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Spend a little time in homeless shelters and you'll get to know why people are poor. Some of them cannot help it, BUT, the vast majority of them just dont give a [censored] and dont really want to work hard. Every country has people like this, why should we really feel bad for them? I feel bad for the kids in SUDAN, not the 25-yr old that just asked me for 5 bucks on the corner here in San Francisco. Eff him he needs to get a job the effin bumb! I gotta go to work tomorrow and bust my dumb ass to pay for hoes and whatnot so why cant he? what the eff makes him so special?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM

Then you should be doing all of society a service by educating everyone on how to make your utopia come about.

Don't hog your brillance.