Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: anyone planning on getting pokemon diamond/pearl?

I bet the next one will have more legendaries than normal pokemon.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:23 AM

Is Pokemon fun for anybody over 15? I always got the impression that it was aimed towards young children. I'm happy to give it a try if it's appropriate for gaming adults. (I've fallen victim to other games' challenge to catch 'em all, whether it's loot or levels or whatever.)
-Sam
Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 AM

Pokemon games have always been really solid IMO. With it having wifi it should have pretty much infinite replay value now. Even if you're the kind of person that just beats story mode and gets bored and quits it will be a fine game. If you're the obsessive sort of person that tries to complete everything then Pokemon is the game for you. It will take forever just to fill your Pokedex, and that is barely the beginning. There are just so many different playable movesets and Pokemon you will be able to use/train. Then you can go even further if you want to get into IV/EV stuff but it's at that point that the game goes past my level of caring because it's just a video game and there's no way I'm going to breed 9812740812374013241324132 of one Pokemon just to get one with perfect nature/IVs or whatever. Little kids honestly wouldn't even come close to scratching the surface of all the awesomeness of the game.

Anyway, I don't actually have my copy yet since I accidentally had it shipped to my house instead of apartment, but I have 2 of the GBA ones and had like all the GB ones and I have no doubt that the DS ones are going to be great games with long lasting flavor.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 AM

What is the difference between the 2 games?

Should I get both?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Pokemon is extremeley in depth for its target age group. Choosing to evolve early, or delaying will have consequences. Choosing to evolve right away will end up getting you w/ betters stats, but it will take you longer to get your best attacks.

I nvr knew taht whne I was like 10. Guy I know plays and says its awsome cuz he can trade / fight people through the wifi thing or w/e and its cordless too i guess. Sounds cool.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference between the 2 games?

Should I get both?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they're essentially the exact same but have a few different pokemon. Apparently you can trade pokemon online now so it's pretty pointless.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokemon is extremeley in depth for its target age group. Choosing to evolve early, or delaying will have consequences. Choosing to evolve right away will end up getting you w/ betters stats, but it will take you longer to get your best attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this doesn't quite work the way a lot of people think it does. Your pokemon's stats (usually) go up when you evolve, because the higher evolution has higher stats, but assuming the EVs/IVs are the same, in the end, the pokemon will have the same stats at level 100 regardless of whether you evolved it at level 30 or at level 80. The real reason for evolving early/late is because sometimes you get different movesets between the different evolved forms.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, this doesn't quite work the way a lot of people think it does. Your pokemon's stats (usually) go up when you evolve, because the higher evolution has higher stats, but assuming the EVs/IVs are the same, in the end, the pokemon will have the same stats at level 100 regardless of whether you evolved it at level 30 or at level 80. The real reason for evolving early/late is because sometimes you get different movesets between the different evolved forms.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm about to go check-out GameFAQs.com wrt Pokemon. I expect to be very impressed and depressed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM

At GameFAQs, expect to be more depressed than impressed. There are better sites to look up information, IMO (http://www.serebii.com, http://www.smogon.com), depending on what you're looking for. But I do use GameFAQs, too. Some of the users on there can be very helpful.

With regards to your question earlier, I do find Pokemon to be really fun, but it is honestly a kiddy game. It's not even like Mario where I could say, "yeah, it's probably targeted for children, but it's definitely appropriate for adults as well". No, it's just straight up for kids. But it's kind of like a guilty pleasure. I tend to enjoy a lot of kiddy games.