Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: \'Going Pro\'- a serious conversation

Other than what others have pointed out, BR, etc...

[ QUOTE ]
serious discussion only please...terrible decision to go pro or reasonable given the circumstances?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't see that your personal circumstances suck for going pro, you may have bigger problems later on. No mention of your monthly nut that you'd need. Including child support and possible ex-spousal care should that be a possibility in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
there is not an urgency to make the decision one way or another other than the fact that I am consumed with making an immediate decision..

[/ QUOTE ]

Given all that's happening, this is not the time to be consumed with making an immediate decision. Going pro isn't an 'immediate' decision. Unless you're a desperate gambler. You have other, more immediate concerns that should be taking precedent.

[ QUOTE ]
My breakthrough can be traced back to when a good friend of mine was a circuit event a few months ago for 90k. Being part of that convinced me 100% that this is what I want to do, full stop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Looked real easy, didn't it?

It's not.

In fact you may really hate it when that first real bad swing hits and lasts for a few months.

If you've only been playing 6 months, you have a bit to learn before you go pro.

b
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks PJ. Providing for family is priority. In terms of wife, we are separating for a variety of issues sooner than later..while poker is certainly a piece of the puzzle, its not the main issue. with regard to my amazing son, as it is now, i see him for 2 hours every night, thats it. with poker and a flexible schedule, i would be on the road more, but I would have more quality days where I could spend all day with him..this certainly comes into play as a positive IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]Grain of salt, as I have no kids, but while son around during the day is undoubtedly and massively +LifeEV, it's probably -PokerEV.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Also, Poker going from "profitable hobby" to "sole source of income" might affect your game psyche for the worse. The summer after school before I started working I definitely felt this way - less fun = more tilt = long losing/breakeven stretches. This was so much so that I quit playing, cold-turkey, for 18 months - burnout sucks.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 PM

thanks for the responses guys..a few of you missed my intended point of starting the dialogue and distorted a few facts..i have not played for just 6 months..i've thought about poker as a career for 6 months and as such, have taken it 1000x more seriously than ever b4. i've played seriously for 5years, and played my whole life. i'm 33.

not looking for a judgement call given my family scenario--..moreso, commentaries on the questions i posted in the first post of the string...

cash flow and family security are vital but not at risk here.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first thing you need to do is completely separate your poker bankroll from the money you live on. Manage them independently.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you're not worried about the financial security or the situation you're in, then why post?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not looking for a judgement call given my family scenario--..moreso, commentaries on the questions i posted in the first post of the string...cash flow and family security are vital but not at risk here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why bring them up in the OP?

Those factors are still(or should be) relevant to thinking of going pro as it could very easily affect your psyche of the game.

b
Old 04-20-2007, 04:39 AM

If you don't do it you will be unhappy.

DO IT.

If you fail, get a job.

Easy decision confused by marriage. It's not fashionable or even socially acceptable to say it, but for a man, work is and always should be more important than family. Your work defines you.

Flame on ... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 AM

matt, bernie- thanks. brought up basics of the situation just so folks understand why its not a cut/dry decision. if i was single etc etc, it would be a no-brainer move. wanted to clarify that Im not a college kid and do in fact have a 9-5 job, actually 6am-7pm when you build in commute etc.. obviously i wouldnt make the move if I thought it would put anyone in my family in jeopardy. I'm in an industry where I could most likely get a job within 2 months of actively searching..and in addition to the poker I'm also working on a few other sources of income..a book, small consulting gigs etc so the financial side of things has been evaluated quite a bit..i am completely aware of what can happen..i have friends that have gone pro..I've seen both sides of what can happen..for the good and bad.

Just wanted answers to these questions to expand my sample size of commentaries..
-Thoughts on the percentage of 2+2'ers that are professional poker players?
-Thoughts on the percentage of players that 'go-pro' and successfully maintain the neccessary ROI given their own goals?
-Anyone with personal commentary on how the poker experience changed when it went from supplemental income to main source of income..
Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 PM

OP,

Based on how much you've played and that you seem to have a reasonable job, I think that if you were single etc. etc. then it would not be a cut/dry decision. Given that you are a new father facing a failing relationship and likely divorce in the near future makes NOT going pro a no-brainer.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Tough spot. Obviously you want to take the plunge. Obviously you have stuff holding you back.

I moved to Vegas four months ago. Made a few deals with my wife. I get to play poker all day. It has become a job. Just like everything else.

I think most people play better poker with the security of a job behind them. It makes the results not matter so much. When I have a week of salary on the table and someone pushes all in sometimes I have to fold what might be the best hand. Because I have to win. I can't lose. I can't afford to gamble. This isn't like poker was when I did it part time.

Not to piss on your parade here but the way you go pro is when you have too much money coming in from poker for this debate to even occur. You'll know it. For now I'd be proud of not being a pro.

Also keep taking those shots at the bigger events. They are sweet to cash in. Although the irony I've found is once you go pro you won't be as excited to spend your hard earned money on them.