Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: $3/6 Hand History- Analyze hand please

Nice response.

Hand 1- Does anyone have a problem w/ the call preflop. If you know his hand and his action- calling allin on flop do you still want to play- I'm 65% right?

Hand 2- Do you think I reraise preflop? W/ the table playing so quickly, I'd say no but let me know.

Hand 3- Does anyone fold the river? I can't see folding the turn here- although I'm sure someone can make a case for it.

Hand 4- He's a weak stack and knows I'm betting- doesn't he C/R all in w/ any better hand than me?? I don't put him on higher pockets- maybe he makes two pair but I still think he C/R all in w/ 2 pair on flop. I put him on 10 and thought HE MIGHT FOLD.

Hand 5- Flop checks w/ scary board- maybe he takes a stab with ultimate scare card- he bet weak and turn completes str8, flush. If I hit king on river I may stack him w/ a flopped boat, str8, or flush. I figure he checks river anyways unless really strong. I know I should fold river- however odds are great and he may take one more stab at it.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Hand 1: The preflop call is fine. I'll call preflop with a lot of junky hands without an A looking to hit TP or better and let him come after me. Its a good way to tilt the FTP PLO100 players calling with 8653ds to a reraise and stacking

Flop call is fine if he stacks off with bare AAxx enough as I say. You're 65/35 to bare AAxx and 35/65 to AAxx w/NFD. So it balances out with the dead money in the pot

Hand 2: I'd either open raise or flat call, but I dont think re-raising in that spot is that good preflop

Hand 3: I was thinking that when I responded. Its marginal, I'd do it as a one off but not regularly

Hand 4: He's folding here 0% of the time IMO. He's too short stacked to do much else, he would be right to call if you have OP+NFD. He could be leading in looking to get it in with TTP vs OP+NFD. Sometimes you cant give credit to some players like they'd c/r with TTP. Most of the time they'll just lead in with TTP or a big draw.

Hand 5: Looks like he's betting a small flush or straight. The $12 looks like a scared bet to me with a weak hand. Calling the turn and raising the river would be sexy, but calling down is probably the worst choice of all IMO.

The $12 on the end is something some online players do with nothing hands. If he's semi-decent you could raise the river if he's able to fold
Old 04-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Yeah, first off, Omaha's really, really high variance, and you'd have to run extremely hot to make it with 3.5 BI. Usually, you need about 30-50 to feel secure.

As for the hands:

Hand 1: Completely standard.

Hand 2: You really need to fold this on the turn. A float call on the flop is fine, but most players won't be continuing to bet without at least trips here.

Hand 3: It's opponent dependent. If you're up against a huge donk or a smart LAG who thinks you can lay down hands, it might be a call, but you can find a fold here against an average player. Most players are never doing this without a better flush.

Hand 4: Looks fine. The short-stack lead usually means that he doesn't have more than one pair made in his hand and is wishing he had fold equity because he's behind. It's still close because even he has one pair and a flush draw, you might not have these odds to play, but I couldn't criticize a call or a fold too much here.

Hand 5: Three-ways, this is going to be a made hand a lot more often than a pure bluff and you've only got two outs to make something yourself. I'd just let it go.

Hand 6: Don't mind the float-call on the flop with lots of live two-pair draws and the BDFD, esp. if he's a frequent C-bettor. I'd like it better if you were in position though. Also, I'd release the turn unimproved if he fires again. As played, turn and river are fine.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM

thanks for insightful comments.

Hand 1: Obv. you wouldn't play 3/6 w/ 2200 so you wouldn't be in this situation. If you were, is it fair to assume you would have folded to his flop bet (not wanting to risk 1/4-1/3 of BR. Assuming you were properly bankrolled, is this the most +EV play (my play) in long run. Would you have folded the AA- what range do you put me on assuming no great reads. I took 15-20 seconds and pushed.

Hand 2: I agree my play was suboptimal. Do you raise flop?

Hand 3: Do you check the turn? Do you really fold to min raise? Would you rather fold to min raise or river- like check to see if board pairs to make even easier decision?

Hand 4: Seems that assuming full bankroll you like the play. With my situation of so few buyins, would you lean towards folding. Is a call ever a possibility? Leading me to calling if I improve, or calling if str8 or overs don't get there. His bet and previously reckless play lead me to believe I'm ahead.

Hand 5: You're probably right- do you 3 bet preflop or just call and fold turn. Probably call and fold turn...

Hand 6: I assume a C/R on turn would be ill advised- even though i could see him calling w/ only AK or lower two pair. Is there any value in putting 30 in the pot w/ intention to fold to almost any raise assuming no timing tells or reads.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Hand 1: That just kind of sucks. You played it well putting it in with a great draw and top pair. He made an interesting call with just AA and the back door flush.

Hand 2: Should have folded if not the flop, the turn. There's so much out there that has you beat. You have an over pair, but it's queens. Really all you can beat is someone with a pair of Js. Especially when he's betting the pot the entire way.

Hand 3: I mean it sucks he had a higher flush than you. His play on the turn was suspect, probably trying to see if you had the flush. A higher flush than you is soemwhat likely, but the way he played it on the turn was tricky because he wanted it to seem as if he had a flush and was trying to see if you had a higher one, IMO.

Hand 4: I mean what do you put him on? Most of the time people aren't going to go all in with just top pair here. You made a good call and he got lucky on the river, but I'd be pretty inclined to just fold on the flop scared he had either a better draw than me or flopped set, something having me in a bad spot.

Hand 5: An over pair with a flush on board and a paired board. You cant just call this. I realize the bets were small, but either raise if you think he's weak to push him off a marginal hand, or fold and let it go.

Hand 6: This hand not really much happened, seems pretty fine nothing scary on board and 2 pair is a pretty good hand. Check-Check on the river is ok. Again this is kind of a dull hand, that was made big with an agressive player.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 PM

You certainly don't want to adjust the way you play hands based on your bankroll. All that does is take you from having a small chance of surviving to having no chance whatsoever. If you're worried about not having enough money, then just move down. Once you're in the hand, just try to make the best EV play as often as possible.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:12 PM

You played most of these hands bad. It's a common mistake from people moving from NLHE to over value tons of hands. The stakes you played are the first stakes where people start playing decently. This doesn't mean that you are facing superstars, but it also means its not a complete donkfest (like I believe lower stakes are.) For example, a reraise is not always AA in those games. You should stick to NLHE and play *much* smaller if you want to play PLO. FWIW, I don't like most of the advice you have got in this thread either.

gl

bdd
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM

BDD,

I'm interested in why you'd write such vague things like that and not mention any specifics? I mean if you disagree with some advice given I'd be interested in hearing what you'd have to say as you have played these stakes etc.

This isnt being a [censored] and saying "How dare you badmouth me", I'm here to discuss PLO and I'd be intrigued as to what you have to say even if you dont like what I said. It would be nice for you to expand on these things and see what your opinion on these hands are.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Guilt,

The problem is that these games are becoming more popular with 2+2ers as a whole, and yet the total population of players is still tiny. So if I feel I am right, I could potentially be helping a more than reasonable proportion of people than might have been the case a year or so ago. And of course, I could very well be wrong. Certainly my track record is not stellar.

The other point, which is admittedly selfish and based on my (egotistically) being right, is why should I spoon feed people when it is far from a two way street.

However, having said all this, most of the problems I see in this thread, and in most advice given on 2+2 as a whole, could be summed up in my DIYDDIYD ideas. I wrote about this on both my blog and Card Player and it probably expresses it better there than I could do again.

gl

bdd
Old 04-24-2007, 01:27 AM

You may be right, but posting without specific advice is much worse than not posting at all. What purpose do you serve by posting without any tangible advice? If you don't want others to improve that's fine, but why even read a posting if you are unwilling to respond with any substance. You obviously don't know everything about the game and maybe you will post a specific opinion that is later contradicted, leading you to further your Omaha game. Relatively, I'm not certain that your comments will be that far reaching on this site and I think any personal growth through dialog would far outweigh the cost of furthering others knowledge.