Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: New York must sees/dos/eats - for a teenager

Depends if it's a boy or girl - for instance, a 13-14 yr old girl would probably like to stand in Times Square for a taping of TRL and scream with all the other girls, or go shopping in SoHo, etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 PM

If it's a girl you should buy some knock-off purses from street vendors...apparently they're indistinguishable from real purses at a fraction of the price. She'll love you for life. If it's a boy, take him to a baseball game. Either sex, take em to the zoo...kids like animals. And get him or her some good pizza [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Museum of Natural History
MMOA
Central Park
Bronx Zoo
Joe's Pizza on Bleecker for a slice

[/ QUOTE ]

good calls all

[/ QUOTE ]
These are great NYC sights, but if I'm an adolescent I'm probably less interested in museums and more interested in action. I'd want to

Go to top of the Empire State Building
Ride the subway
Check out the main waiting room at Grand Central
Eat someplace cheap I could tell my friends about (Joe's, or Carnegie Deli)
Buy something from some guy on the street

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Good call re: adolescents and passive vs. active things to do. This is my daughter, so the Mets/Yankees are out as well.

Some of the suggestions were already on the list (Empire State bldg, Central Park, Carnegie deli), but the others sound good as well.

We'll give Joe's pizza a try. NY pizza was on the list, but all I've ever heard about are the 50000 variants on "Ray's Original" - and that 49999 of those are bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if not interested in traditional art, MMOA has (or, had as of my last visit) lots of cool junk like sarcophogi and mummies and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you're talking about the Met. I thought you were refering to the Museum of Modern Art.

Also, if you want to check out the sites, the water taxi can be a fun tour of the city.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Try and get tickets to the Daily Show. If you go to their website and refresh randomly throughout the day you can often find a couple of tickets. Just have to be patient. Its a lot of standing in line waiting for something that lasts under an hour, but its pretty cool to see it.

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is pretty cool, but that depends on the kid.

Empire State Building at sunset. If you time it right you can see the city in the light and by the time you've made the orbit its night and you can see NY lit up.

You can take the free Ferry to Staten Island and back. Its free and you can stand outside and get a pretty good view of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan. Takes about an hour round trip.

Definitely hit the Museum of Natural History. Anybody could find stuff they find cool in there.

See Ground Zero.

Somebody told me the Aquarium at Coney Island was neat, but I've never been.

Central Park Zoo is suppose to be really good, but again I've never been.

See a Rangers, Islanders, or Yankees game.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can take the free Ferry to Staten Island and back. Its free and you can stand outside and get a pretty good view of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan. Takes about an hour round trip.

Definitely hit the Museum of Natural History. Anybody could find stuff they find cool in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done these. All great suggestions.

You might also want to watch a good Woody Allen movie or two before the trip, and then just walk around upper west side to see places where it all happens.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done these. All great suggestions.

You might also want to watch a good Woody Allen movie or two before the trip, and then just walk around upper west side to see places where it all happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might actually hit up the Aquarium this Sunday. Its finally suppose to be warm and sunny.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Joe's Pizza on Bleecker for a slice

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so great about New York pizza? Seriously
Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 AM

Coney Island if it's open.

I guess you have to take her shopping if it's your daughter. I think 5th avenue has good shopping, not sure though.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:39 AM

I'd definitely take her through some of the super expensive 5th Ave. stores. She'll get a kick out of it. Decent afternoon might be:

Go to Bryant Park and eat lunch at 'whichcraft
Walk up 5th Ave and go through stores (pretty much any super exclusive one you could hope for)
Continue up 5th Ave and walk through the park

[ QUOTE ]
Top of the Rock can be interesting if you like that sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can also do this along the way (5th and 48th I think).

[ QUOTE ]
We'll give Joe's pizza a try. NY pizza was on the list, but all I've ever heard about are the 50000 variants on "Ray's Original" - and that 49999 of those are bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best Ray's of the 8 or 9 I've had is 6th Ave and 11th St. That is a top 5 NY pizza place imo. Joe's on Carmine (not Bleecker) is also very good. Lombardi's and Grimaldi's are probably my #1 and #2, but they're also more likely to not be a hit with kids that are picky eaters. La Pizza Fresca probably rounds out my top 5, but that's also not the best place for kids. I'd stick with Ray's on 6th or Joe's on Carmine.

[ QUOTE ]

Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is pretty cool, but that depends on the kid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fwiw, the walk toward Manhattan is a lot more visually impressive than toward Brooklyn. If you head over to Grimaldi's (or something else in Brooklyn Heights, I guess) definitely consider walking back. It's plenty safe.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're better off just walking around Battery Park. Basically the same thing except you don't have to go to Staten Island. Might be worth actually going to the Statue of Liberty if she is interested. I haven't been in years, so I don't really know what the procedure is like with that.

[ QUOTE ]
See Ground Zero.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only two things I'd say about this are (1) this can be a not very fun experience depending on the person, I didn't go to Ground Zero for a few years after 9/11 because I just couldn't really stand to do it (2) there's less and less to see every day, it basically looks like any random construction site at this point. That being said, if she is interested in going and you think she'd be okay with it I'd definitely recommend it.

[ QUOTE ]
Central Park Zoo is suppose to be really good, but again I've never been.

[/ QUOTE ]
Central Park Zoo is very good and a whole lot easier to get to than the Bronx Zoo. If you have time for this definitely do it.