Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Serious Advice Needed (Non-Poker)

[ QUOTE ]
My parents know her and her parents well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is true, and your dad is the one who actually found the note, I would suggest to him that he call Amanda's parents, and simply share with them the contents of the note.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it's pretty difficult to tell a parent that their kid needs psychological help, and I'd bet many times they ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe...although it will be more difficult for them to ignore visible cut marks.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:21 PM

MTU,
At least now you admit that the problem should probably be addressed, but that he and his family shouldn't do anything about it, not their problem. I guess that would make you half an idiot now. You have no expertise in dealing with this yet you spout off numerous diagnoses as to why she is doing this. Why not error on the side of caution? If it turns out it is just kids being kids, then fine. But if it turns out that you really helped this girl, then that is even better.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My parents know her and her parents well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is true, and your dad is the one who actually found the note, I would suggest to him that he call Amanda's parents, and simply share with them the contents of the note.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with this, and I'd make sure that her parents took it seriously enough (as in, not just brushing it off).
Old 02-17-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MTU is an idiot. Cutting your wrists is not kids just being stupid and something they will outgrow. It is a sign of serious problems.The girl needs help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MTU is an idiot. Cutting your wrists is not kids just being stupid and something they will outgrow. It is a sign of serious problems.The girl needs help.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI "cutting" is usually not cutting one's wrists. It is usually scapting a razor blade edge across the back side of one's forearms, or other places on the body. It causes pain and is obviously a sign something is wrong but the 'cuts' typically DO NOT require stitches.

She definately needs psychological/psychiatric help. This problem will not go away. She may never commit suicide but she might. Err on the side of caution. You could approach her or your bro or whatever and ask her to talk to someone or say you will tell. I wouldn't want that knowelege on my conscience.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother is a senior in high school. He dated a girl (lets say her name is Amanda) for two years (she is now a sophomore). She fell hard for him (her first boyfriend), but he left her for a senior.
My dad found a note that Amanda wrote to my brother a little while ago. In the note she expressed some mild depression, but also states that she cuts herself and enjoys it. She still wants to get back together with my brother even though she has a new boyfriend. She says that she can't talk to her parents (who are divorced, she hates her step-mother) about this, they won't understand.
My concern is in how to deal with this. My family knows, but hers doesn't (we don't think). Is this just high school girls being high school girls? Is this more serious? Should we contact her parents at the risk of ruining her friendship with my brother, and my brothers confidence in my family. Should we contact someone at the school without disclosing our identities?
I haven't yet read the note(s), so I can't speak of the general tone. I will update as I find out more, but some input is greatly needed here. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get her help before she cuts her wrist.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:14 PM

It's very, very serious.

If you don't want to tell her family, then the easy solution is to tell a school counselor. They get paid to take the heat.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:59 PM

First of all...i am 35 years old and i dont know the cool high school trends that goes on but my cousin is a teacher and she tells me its very common for kids these days to cut themselves...Are there any high school teachers in the 2p2 world who could agree with this statement? it looks like she is just trying to get attention from the guy however kids these days...they do crazy things.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all...i am 35 years old and i dont know the cool high school trends that goes on but my cousin is a teacher and she tells me its very common for kids these days to cut themselves...Are there any high school teachers in the 2p2 world who could agree with this statement? it looks like she is just trying to get attention from the guy however kids these days...they do crazy things.

[/ QUOTE ]
So because it is more prevalent these days you are just going to assume it is nothing to worry about? If you do something and it turns out it was no big deal, fine. But if you do nothing and it is a big deal and you should have done something, then that is f*cked up.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:58 AM

I've been out of high school for about a year, and I never knew anyone who cut themselves. Or, if I did know them, I never found out about it.