Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Re: 99 on the Bubble

OMG, an EP limper he must have AA.

Not raising here is really bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM

offcourse an ordinairy situation i would say the same thing rppkoz (in the same sarcastic way)

but in this case we have a tight player limping in and if hes paying attention he knows BB is pushing over limpers
and his this is his first limp according to hero

imo you would be happy to go heads up against the BB who pushes limpers with any Ace Rag
if you limp you get to see cheap what the EP does (incase BB pushes) (if BB just checks you can reevalutate on the flop but i would only go for set value)

im not saying EP has AA im just saying that he MIGHT have a very good hand that he wants BB to push in on
Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 AM

If you raise and BB pushes you will still get to see if EP crams before you put your stack in.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise and BB pushes you will still get to see if EP crams before you put your stack in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we limp we get to see if BB defends and EP crams which seems pretty likely based on the reads. If not and BB checks - we have positions after the flop and can check it out from there. I'd think a reasonable range for UTG limping would be KQs, AJo+, ATs+, TT+. If he's limped in with AA and we flat call and the BB checks, he's going to be kicking himself for creating a small multiway pot and you may be able to play the board to get him off a better hand.

I think limping or raising are both fine here depending on the opponents.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 AM

Never easy to tell if they're limping w/ AA or a marginal hand they'd like to see a flop with. I limp as well, or push. Don't raise small if you do raise (maybe 2400+), and call the push if it comes.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: 99 on the Bubble - to the flop!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't seem to get many interesting hands to post, but am still thinking about this one . . .

Full Tilt $10 MTT Donkament - 360 runners, 36 pay, 40 left.

Avg chipstack = 13.5K B+E is 400/200/50 or 1,050 in the pot to go . . . (this is such a horrible structure!)

Reads:

<font color="blue"> EP Villian (24,000) </font> - just doubled up AK vs. TT against table (and tourney) CL. This guy seems pretty tight - way too tight for the bubble and has been willing to let go of marginal hands post flop.

<font color="red"> BB villian (28,000) </font> - just lost 12,000 when TT couldn't out-flip AK (see above). Luckbox who keeps calling light and sucking out. Particularly fond of A-rag. Of note to this hand is that he has shown a willingness to defend his blind, esp pushing over limpers.

Hero (~11,000)

I've been right down the middle. Not too many hands, not too few. I've only shown down winners but have bluffed enough flops to get action once the antes kicked in. I'm feeling pressure to exploit the bubble since winning $16 isn't very appealing . . .

<font color="blue"> EP Villian </font> limps (first time for that)
fold, fold, fold

Hero has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and?

Rem. the <font color="red"> BB villian </font> already has 400 in a 1,500 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero limps (very concerned with 1st limper looking for a rr) SB folds &amp; BB checks. 1,850 in the pot.

Flop - 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets 1,200, <font color="blue"> EP Villian calls </font>, Hero ???
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: 99 on the Bubble - to the flop!

I raise to 2100 preflop for value and also to help define EPs hand. I call a BB shove but I fold if BB shoves and EP comes along.

As played I raise to 3600 on the flop with the intention of folding to an EP 3bet and probably calling if the BB shoves and EP folds. If called by EP only I fold if EP leads the turn, my action is exploitable but your description does not sound like he is the type to exploit me. If called by BB and EP I fold if donked into on the turn and freecard the turn if it is checked to me.