Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Is not believing in gay rights biggoted?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There exists a middle ground of thought that doesn't make one either a biggot or a flaming haired liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be consious bigotry, but that's what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on one's definition of a homosexual. If someone considers homosexuality a choice, regardless of the merits of that opinion, then they would not be acting with bigotry.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, sure. In practice, they are bigots.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 AM

What is bigoted is to believe that all should not have the same rights in a just society.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Where do the equal rights/protection begin and end?
Which rights are protected and which are not?

I'm sure Libertarians and Strict conservatives would disagree heartily on both answers. Would that make one side bigotted and the other right? What about all those who think in the middle ground of those two sets of answers?

Would I be a bigot if I opposed affirmative action because I saw it as elevating others rights above mine purely based upon their _____?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:44 AM

I don't understand how gay marriage undermines the institution of marriage when we have people like Darva Conger in the world and popular reality TV shows like I Love New York. Marriage has already been exposed for what it is - absolutely meaningless.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
according to Wikipedia,
[ QUOTE ]
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like a terrible definition. I'm intolerant of the lifestyle of serial killers. Does that make me a bigot?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
according to Wikipedia,
[ QUOTE ]
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like a terrible definition. I'm intolerant of the lifestyle of serial killers. Does that make me a bigot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mom is that you??? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
according to Wikipedia,
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so it seems that it is bigoted not to believe in gay rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use this definition then the OP is bigoted against his mom's opinion.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Would I be a bigot if I opposed affirmative action because I saw it as elevating others rights above mine purely based upon their _____?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you'd probably get called one if you discuss the issue with certain people.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 AM

She might be (probably?) is a bigot, but being against gay marriage doesn't make her. I am against any discrimination based on sexuality, but I don't think that gay people have a right to marry, I want it to be allowed, but to label it a right is not correct. Marriage is a traditional, heterosexual institution for monogam adults. If the gay community tries to establish a similar homosexual institution and they are not allowed, then it is discrimination. I don't see why they go head on in this fight when they could achieve much of the same quality of life much more discretely.

EDIT: Got curious and read about this and see that civil unions are not allowed in many states in the US. That's clear discrimination. Maybe eradicate state facism at home before trying to eradicate it abroad? These guys must be proud of your moral politicians:

Old 04-16-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
according to Wikipedia,
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mom is that you??? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mom wants to see 'the fabric of society' protected she should be FOR gay marriage, not against it. Gay marriage will decrease promiscuity.

And what business is it of 'the states' who gets married anyway? I am against 'the state' having any say in who gets married, be they gay or straight or whatever.

If you want to press your mom a bit you might want to ask her where she got the notion that gay marriage will damage the fabric of society. Ask her to explain the details to you. Ask her and encourage her to expand upon her answers with comments like "that's interesting, could you tell me more about that" Don't disagree with her just get her to keep talking and explaining herself to see what is behind this notion that 'the fabric of society' being ruined. See if you can get her to keep explaining herself until she backs herself into a corner. In my experience a lot of people who hold this belief have simply adopted this belief from others, they have not thought it through themselves (so they can't really explain it, they can merely repeat others assertions).

Another interesting side point is that these 'beliefs' often come from religion. If this is the case for your mom, where exactly did she get this notion? Did she get it from the bible? If so, does she adopt all the bibles beliefs or just some? Does she love her neighbor as herself....or does she do a litmus test to see if they are gay first? Did God and/or Jesus tell her to do that or did some man/woman suggest she do that? If she says she loves them, but puts conditions on that 'love', ask her to explain what love is and how she reconsiles being judgemental? Does the bible tell her to do that? Does God/Jesus?

This type of talk will probably piss your mom off so you need to consider this prior to engaging her. Sometimes it is better to not disucss such matters with family and/or friends as it can cause conflicts you will regret.

Did God tell her gays should not be married? Did god tell her that it was her job to prevent it? How did God bestow this power on her?