Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Ask Sixes anything . . .

Any sites you recommend to get started learning cash? I play cash almost exactly like I play the early level SNG game...tight preflop, c-bet flop if I miss, fold if they raise/call and I don't improve.. I highly doubt that's optimal.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that wisdom comes with age so please drop some knowledge on me being that I'm only 21. What do you think I should be doing with my money?

[/ QUOTE ]
Get involved with something like sharebuilder.com where a certain amount is taken from your checking account every week and invested in the stock market. If it's automatic it will become habitual and will add up over time. I wish 21-year old me had started saving $50 a week.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be be really cheap in my early and late 20's and just save or should I just spend most of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Save some, but still have fun before the responsibilities of life smack you in the face.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any advice or tips for living life in all aspects. What are some of your motto's in life? How can I find happines? What do you think about things you fear? Do you avoid it or it's better to face it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am currently seeing a psychologist . . . not dating, but paying for the service. Here is what I have concluded to be the absolute truth: You absolutely have to be happy with yourself by yourself. Have friends, have hobbies, have distractions. Too much of my self worth has been wrapped up in how things are going (poker, love, work) and I don't have enough control over those things for them to be an accurate measure of who I am.

I don't really have a motto. Growing up I had rules, so that my dad only had to show me a number and I knew what rule I should be applying to the situation. I don't pay enough attention to those rules. Rule #1 is, "Don't panic." Rule #2 is, "When you know the right answer give it." Rule #3 is "Ask yourself what John Wayne would do in this situation and you'll never ever be sorry."

I tend to avoid things I fear and hope they go away. That really doesn't work very well.

[ QUOTE ]

I am thinking about going to Japan in the summer but none of my friends want to go. Should I go anyway even though I don't know anyone there or know how to speak any Japanese?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, go. Find a tour group of people near to you in age. Strangers are only friends you haven't met yet.

[ QUOTE ]
You know the motto live every day like it's your last I feel like I'm not doing that at all. I tried doing it for one day and got so tired. I feel like a old man because the people at my age like to go clubbing or party I feel like going to sleep at 12. Is there something wrong with me! When I was younger I felt like everything was more fun. Every little thing amazed me. My group of friends became so boring we do nothing new. We don't like to go clubbing or party much. All we do is eat at restaurants and go watch a movie. I feel like there is nothing to do in San Francisco. We use to go bowling but it's so boring to us now. That's why I feel like traveling and meeting new people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do any one thing too much it will get boring. That's why it is important to have a wide spectrum of friends and hobbies. There will come a time when it is impractical or impossible to just up and travel the world. Do it now while you can.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any sites you recommend to get started learning cash? I play cash almost exactly like I play the early level SNG game...tight preflop, c-bet flop if I miss, fold if they raise/call and I don't improve.. I highly doubt that's optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

watch some videos from the SSNL sticky to start, start out very low, and hope you run good at picking advice in SSNL. Its a great forum w/ lots of good discussion but some of the advice is great and some is awful. Post some hands there, and def in the [censored] thread here. There are some amazing cash players that read it regularly. Also dont open-limp at 6-max cash ever, raise your PPs from any position and your SCs, broadway hands from LP.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are horrible cash game players everywhere. The c-bet on the miss is mathematically sound if you're betting 1/2 the pot. Your opponent will miss 2/3 of the time as well. I like to always fold quickly on a raised c-bet and take note of a player who now thinks he can take a pot away from me. When I do have a hand, and fire a c-bet looking bet, I know that I can get his stack.

The follow up on the following streets is to have a plan. Daliman always tells me, "Make sure your story adds up."

You can't go from representing AK on the flop to catching a set on the turn to making a flush on the river. Have a plan and stick to it. Say to yourself, I am playing this hand as if I had XX. Most of the hands I lose are hands where I say, "He can't call without a 9," or a spade or whatever. Remember these people suck, so just because they can't call without a 9 or a spade or whatever doesn't mean that they won't . . . which is why when you are ahead, don't slowplay it, because people need to call.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are horrible cash game players everywhere. The c-bet on the miss is mathematically sound if you're betting 1/2 the pot. Your opponent will miss 2/3 of the time as well. The follow up on the following streets is to have a plan. Daliman always tells me, "Make sure your story adds up."

You can't go from representing AK on the flop to catching a set on the turn to making a flush on the river. Have a plan and stick to it. Say to yourself, I am playing this hand as if I had XX. Most of the hands I lose are hands where I say, "He can't call without a 9," or a spade or whatever. Remember this people suck, so just because they can't call without a 9 or a spade or whatever doesn't mean that they won't . . . which is why when you are ahead, don't slowplay it, because people need to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

one thing about small stakes is most villains arent hand reading at all other than their own in lots of cases, so make sure you are narrowing down their range on each street as well. As you start off in low stakes i think 2nd barreling on A and K turns when your c-bet is called on rag flops will be enough to ensure your c-bets are hugely +EV, also make sure you bet >1/2 pot on coordinated flops (those w/ FDs or 3 cards to straight, etc.) Dont get fancy when you hit your hand, just value bet every street. Dont fold overpairs or TPTK in a RR pot at low stakes without a read.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:07 PM

/end hijack sorry. Sixes will you be in vegas this summer at all?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be winning a bracelet at one of the $1500 NLHE events this summer.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be winning a bracelet at one of the $1500 NLHE events this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

will you chop if we're HU at the FT?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM

Haha, I posted a bit on SSNL but felt like such a noob. I hate going from being an above average (not great, but better than average) SNG player, to knowing nothing and having all the regs ragging on me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] What about calling preflop? I have trouble with those PP. I usually lay down the small PP OOP in the blinds, but will call with position on the raiser. I hate the low-mid PPs.

And that's good advice about repping a hand. I just have a hard time letting go when they don't buy my story.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Why do people play the $60s on Stars when it is easily possible to get twice the ROI in the $27s, with much less stress and variance?

Who is on your "List of 5 Celebrities"?