Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Table Talk

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but does anyone else see more conversation these days about the hand in play? ... Is this a trend or am I a crank?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in the "Ethics Question" thread that's covering exactly the same question...

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard this "I'm in the hand, I can say anything I please" line more and more the last year or so. Where's this coming from? Usually when confronted they back down but I've seen kids just come unglued when someone suggested they couldn't do this. Floor had to come explain things in a very direct and forceful manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

So yeah, I agree.

I like the suggestion that it's Jamie Gold's fault. Whether it's true or not, I just think it's a good idea to blame him.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the suggestion that it's Jamie Gold's fault. Whether it's true or not, I just think it's a good idea to blame him.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH Sir.

I agree that talking about a hand in progress is absolutely not cool.

I've also noticed that even the fishiest of fish will notice if a player (me, oftentimes) goes long periods of time without saying anything. Then when I finally play a hand and say "raise" out loud, they get suspicous of me having a monster and I get no action.

I guess the moral of the story is that the phrase "you have to give a little action to get a little action" applies to table talk as well - you have to participate in conversation (related to hands or otherwise) to not stand out as a rock or nit or whatever.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that talking about a hand in progress is absolutely not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would expect that you are talking about not being in the hand. Coffee-housing is the term and it relates to chatting when in the hand, about the hand. It is mostly allowed in the US and mostly disallowed in Europe.

People not in the hand should talk about the weather or the game (on TV that is).
Old 04-14-2007, 07:34 AM

Agreed, find nothing more annoying then people talking about a hand that they aren't in. Especially if another player happens to call my hand, happened to me once, was in a pot with a friend, I had flopped a straight, bet out with it, opponent was thinking, random guy not in the hand goes "looks like he has a straight".

Now what am I supposed to do? Do I just say "don't talk about the [censored] hand if you're not in it". No, I don't want to say that, I don't want to give any info to the guy playing the pot with me. So, I expect someone else at the table to put this guy in his place. I tell people to not talk about hands all the time when I'm not in a pot, just because I know that being in that situation is tough for the players in the hand, not wanting to give anything away.

I think during one of the early episodes of HSP 3, Jamie Gold commented on some big hand and sbrugby sorta went, "Shhh", it was great.