Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: 114$ stars - A9 standard call/shove?

[ QUOTE ]
Villain could have pushed very wide here but I was not happy with my position.
Is this a shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because a villain could and should be pushing very wide, doesn't mean that he is. This is one thing that I've noticed about short stacked players in the late game: they're often not pushing nearly as wide as you would expect. After all, why do you think they're so short in the first place...they've been waiting for a good hand to get their money in. Judging by his stack, he's likely already missed some easy ATC (or very wide) +EV pushes.

That being said, unless you have a solid read that villain is in fact shoving very wide (as he should be), then I might pass on this one.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 PM

readless which range do you put villain on to pass since you had him well covered?

My concern was not on the call vs villain but rather to the weakness of my hand compared to my postion.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because a villain could and should be pushing very wide, doesn't mean that he is. This is one thing that I've noticed about short stacked players in the late game: they're often not pushing nearly as wide as you would expect. After all, why do you think they're so short in the first place...they've been waiting for a good hand to get their money in. Judging by his stack, he's likely already missed some easy ATC (or very wide) +EV pushes.

That being said, unless you have a solid read that villain is in fact shoving very wide (as he should be), then I might pass on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally call pretty tight against unknowns but villian only has 2.5BBs and is about to hit the BB. I'm pushing this fast.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Maybe like 22+, A2+, K2+, Q9+, JT. But I'm not saying that's what I think his range is, I'm just saying I might play this one safe because he very well could be shoving much tighter than we'd expect. And maybe it's still a call, I haven't SngPT'd it.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Actually Darin you were in the same table...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Just push. Your hand is much better than his range.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally call pretty tight against unknowns but villian only has 2.5BBs and is about to hit the BB. I'm pushing this fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the push. Even people that normally push tighter than they should recognize when they're about to lose 40% of their stack to the BB. His range is still plenty loose enough about 99% of the time.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Easy push. The only way SB or BB is calling you now is with QQ+ or possibly AK. Way too many chips in the pot to fold with such a nice hand, and you don't want to call to give SB or BB the opportunity. Think of it this way... If everyone had folded to you, you would push that, right? So you can't be too scared of the SB or BB.

-BK