Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: tough spot: your line

[ QUOTE ]
sorry if I forgot to mention...I'm UTG and he's right after me. you're right that is a critical piece of info as helps to narrow his range significantly

[/ QUOTE ]
And if you're saying he's a thinking player, and you raised from the BU before and he repopped you from SB, that's VERY different than this spot with you raising UTG. He's a lot less likely to reraise light in this spot because of the that someone else behind him has a real hand. So the same hands he might have repopped you with if you opened in LP he might be more likely to flat-call with here, figuring you're weak enough that he can take the pot away postflop given that he's restolen from you frequently. But he would also realize that your UTG raising range is better than your LP raising range.

Obviously, yes, lots of factors here...but I don't see why you wouldn't cbet this flop. You tell us, since this spot is so incredible. What is your argument for NOT cbetting the flop, since that's pretty much the standard play for this spot as you want to make sure you don't let AK/AQ type hands see the turn for free?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of factors but everyone loves to simplify it to HOH cont bets.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, there's a good chance you have the best hand (people cold call with all kinds of stuff, he can easily have KQ, AK, AQ, etc.) but it is very vulnerable. Checking this flop will not keep it small so you really have to lead out.

If villain re-pops, you'll have to consider a fold. He might be pushing a big draw, in which case you're slightly behind, or he might have overcards that he slowplayed PF.

One thing for sure, if he is decent at all he won't slowplay you on this flop- it's too dangerous. If he has overs or a set he has to protect his hand.

Unfortunately, if you check you are giving a free card to a drawing hand, and if he bets you'll have less to go on (since you've shown weakness).

I think betting is correct because of these factors, not because of HoH.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 AM

Did i stutter? If you want to gamble.

If you c/r his bet may be big enough to give him odds to call your all in with 2 spades or two overcards and suck out if he's that aggressive... he also may not bet...he also may have you beat (really doubt it) that's the gamble part. Sometime you "gamble" and slow play a hand and lose. That's the gamble part. Do I c/r here? No.. I bet 3/4 the Pot!!!!

The only way to find out where you are here is to bet. A free card or check sucks.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
line for whole hand please...I've been relatively tight and very aggressive by the way

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how anyone could answer this question. We would need to see what villain does along the way.

BTW, this hand really isn't that complicated and Jeff has it right including rationale.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 PM

is one of your 10s a spade?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
line for whole hand please...I've been relatively tight and very aggressive by the way

[/ QUOTE ]
How can we give the line for the whole hand when we don't know the other cards and the action. If you want better responses, you need to make better posts.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:40 PM

This is about as standard a hand as one could post. If there had been an over card to your T, maybe this has a *little* content. Just gas. His hand range is really wide, and for the time being you can't be overly concerned with 99 and 88. Because just about every other hand his call range includes, you currently beat. Lay the wood to him.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM

lets call villians range from UTG+1 would be any PP and AQ+. There is very little value in him reraising with much of that range. I think you need to cbet here because if you check/call then he can blast you off the best hand with A,K,Q on the turn. So bet here if called then I would prob take the liberty of shoving A K Q on the turn else prob check/fold.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM

When I read it, I thought it wasn't very interesting.

Hero has to bet here, and subsequent play is read dependent or game dependent. My initial thought was that TT was a monster 6-handed.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Full Tilt $100+9 6-handed. 66 people left out of 320. 43 get paid. I have 10K left. Villain has 17K. He's somewhat tight and very aggressive. He repopped me several times and I folded preflop. 150/300 blinds w/ 25 antes. UTG with 10,10. I make it 900 to go. He smooth calls. Flop is 9,8,5 with two spades. your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

From your read, it seems you have played with villain for awhile. He is TAG, is he a good TAG? You should really have a good read on his range for cold calling YOUR UTG raise from UTG+1 by now. This read will allow you to formulate a plan for the hand when he calls or raises your c-bet. Without a better read, we can't help you.