Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: 360 elite

i actually have a hard drive already thats compatible with a 360... should this effect my decision at all?

im probably gonna buy a nice tv someitme in the next few months... should htis make me consider a ps3 at all for the blueray
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i actually have a hard drive already thats compatible with a 360... should this effect my decision at all?

im probably gonna buy a nice tv someitme in the next few months... should htis make me consider a ps3 at all for the blueray

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no compatible standard hard drive for the 360.

You can already download high definition (eg - HD DVD / blu-ray quality) movies on XBox live. If you really want the disks themselves, you can purchase an HD-DVD drive for the 360 for $200 (the same price cost as the difference between a 360 and a PS3). Here's another thread in this forum discussing HD v Blu-ray.

As it stands, right now the PS3 is in pretty sad shape. If you plan on actually playing games on your console or using it for online play/entertainment then don't even consider the PS3. If you don't plan to do much besides buy and watch blu-ray movies then the PS3 definitely works as a subsidized blu-ray player.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:26 AM

Sorry minor hijack, how does this downloading off XBox live work? I thought XBox live was just an online gaming network thing, but now I'm intrigued..
Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 PM

wait, i DO have a hardrive thats compatbile with the 360.... i'm letting my friend borrow it until this summer when i plan on buying my own 360

should this effect my decision on elite or no elite?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry minor hijack, how does this downloading off XBox live work? I thought XBox live was just an online gaming network thing, but now I'm intrigued..

[/ QUOTE ]

Live was completely revamped for the 360. Now it has tons of stuff on it. Everything is categorized/subcategorized. So for the free stuff you just navigate to what you want and get it. You can queue multiple downloads and play games/watch movies/etc while your content is downloading. For movies, the data is also streamed. So SD (DVD) quality movies are usually ready in a matter of minutes.

For the priced content, you purchase and use points. The prices depend on exactly what you're purchasing. A SD quality TV show (like CSI) is about $2/episode and you can keep them forever. It's $3/episode for HD. For feature films the pricing is 3/4.5. For new releases, it's 4/6. They are also starting to offer entire games. You could actually download the Oblivion expansion on XBox live.

There's also the Live arcade, which is basically a bunch of smaller games like Geometry Wars along with classics like Smash TV. All the games have free playable demos, online leader boards and most have some multiplayer capacity. In Smash TV, for example, you can play co-op local or online. The price for the arcade games really varies, but is usually somewhere around $5-$10.

There's also exclusive downloadable content available for some games (such as the upcoming GTA IV) and standard content available for other games (such as Oblivion's Knights of the Nine, Mehrunes Razor, etc).

Anyhow, sure I'm missing some stuff but that's at least the gist of it.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, i DO have a hardrive thats compatbile with the 360.... i'm letting my friend borrow it until this summer when i plan on buying my own 360

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably mean that you have an USB hard drive, right?

Those aren't fully compatible and you can't download XBLive stuff onto them.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably mean that you have an USB hard drive, right?

Those aren't fully compatible and you can't download XBLive stuff onto them.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it clicks onto the side of the system... my friend had a system but no hard drive... i happened to come across one so i gave it to him, now he can save rosters and stuff

do i have any idea what i'm talking about?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 AM

MS should have made the regular 360 w/HDMI...

If you have a 1080i/p TV, I'd get the Elite...
Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MS should have made the regular 360 w/HDMI...

If you have a 1080i/p TV, I'd get the Elite...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need for HDMI with 1080i.

I don't see 1080p as much more than gimmick for this generation of consoles. The market penetration for 1080p compatible TVs is next to nil, and game performance could very well become an issue at 1080p resolution.

The only reason Microsoft is offering 1080p/HDMI is because Sony offered 1080p/HDMI. The only reason Sony included HDMI is because of their obsession with digital rights management.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no it clicks onto the side of the system... my friend had a system but no hard drive... i happened to come across one so i gave it to him, now he can save rosters and stuff

do i have any idea what i'm talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just under the impression that there was special hardware in the hard drives to encrypt data to prevent people from tampering with it. And as a consequence of that, that MS are the only ones producing fully compatible drives.

But I may be mistaken.

Can you remember what brand/model hard drive you have?