Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: [3$-6$] Overpair faces raise

As everyone else has said, I think you absolutely must raise PF.

That said, folding the flop would be a huge mistake, IMO. I would call and see what happens on the turn. I would have to be convinced to not call down an unknown though.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Flop bets translated (in multiway unraised pots with non-drawy flops):

Bet 1: I have something. This could be top pair, bottom pair, an underpair, ace high, or a draw. With certain opponents, it could also be absolutely nothing just hoping that nobody else liked the flop (especially on a K-rag-rag flop).

Raise 1: I have something worth seeing the turn with/I don't think you have anything. This is usually top pair or better, although it could be two big overcards that limped preflop, a medium pair (like 66 here), or something like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] if there were no callers before he acted. If there is a caller first, then unless the caller and bettor flat out suck at poker, it's almost always top pair or better.

Raise 2: Unless the player is a maniac, this is always top pair or better. It is not always a monster, unless Raise 2 is put in by the initial bettor (and the initial bettor and/or initial raiser aren't maniacs/horrible LAGs). In this hand & given that the 3bettor was a poster preflop, this could well be two pair or a set...or, it could be A7, 88, 54 playing for a free card, or even a player getting overaggressive with a weaker top pair.

Cap: I can beat TPTK, or if the player has position, I have a strong enough draw that I need to see the turn, and I'm hoping for the option of a free card.

In this particular hand & given that no reads on the opponents were stated, I call the flop 3bet and check/call to showdown UI as long as the board doesn't get too scary and/or another player springs into action.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with just calling preflop here rather than raising. If you're at a loose low-limit table, the MP poster and the BB are likely to call regardless. Plus, 99 isn't that strong of a hand, and the only players likely to call your raise (other than MP and BB) are going to have one or more overcards, so you have no idea what to do if the board comes with one or more cards over Ten, plus you'll be out of position the entire hand. Therefore, I like a limp from UTG with 99 and hope to flop a set or a board with undercards (like you did).

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.