Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Curious Dealer?

lol, I didn't make a big deal out of it when it happened, didn't even say anything. And I realize it's pretty minor in the whole scheme of things, what with the war going on, and high gas prices and all that other stuff, I was just wondering what you would do if it happened to you.

As I surmised, some apparently thought it was no big deal, and others disagreed.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Sitting at a 1/3 NL game at Ceasars, i had a dealer look at my cards before i saw them... yup... he dealt my cards close to him, and took a look and then carried on.

he actually watched me play about 5 hands where he knew my cards.

he showed no reaction and i guess it didnt bother me since i didnt say anything except banter jokingly with him after the hands.

i'm sure i wouldnt be as pleased with the situation if it wasnt the bush leagues (1/2-1/3 etc), but who knows.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Wow... that hand's not worth a tip!!! Pretty unprofessional."

[/ QUOTE ]

Said by me after I win a pot on his down.

I of course wouldn't say that, but I'm a big proponent of stiffing people (dealers, servers, etc) for obviously bad service. If I get a chance to do so tactfully, I will often tell them why too.

As mentioned elsewhere, bad service that's still rewarded will not remedy itself.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 PM

Two situations apply here:

(1) I will, on rare occasions, spot-check a folded hand if I notice suspicious betting patterns and am becoming suspicious of collusion.

(2) If I notice a visible mark on a card, I will also set it aside for further inspection after the hand is over (obviously, I can't leave a marked card in play). This almost always occurs when the hand is being mucked, and will usually appear the same as (1). The fact that (1) and (2) appear the same to the players is intentional.

Aside from these two exceptions, what a player folds is always their own private business. But, yes, as a dealer I do reserve the right to inspect a folded hand if it raises an issue impacting the integrity of my game.

q/q
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 PM

OP you're such a nit heh
Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 PM

The dealer was flirting with you. Make eye contact and smile after she looks at your folded cards. Make conversation. If you're single, ask her out.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Tell the floor, and be sure not to be too overly nice with tips.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GODDAMN this is such a nice site!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I get a witness?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was pretty annoyed, but chose not to say anything to him or to the floor manager. Even so, I felt that the dealer was way out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you guys are wrong. These subpar dealers are going to continue doing things like this, probably because they think there is nothing wrong with it, until somoene speaks up and goes to the person of authority that can fix the problem. There really isn't much use posting on the internet with the "should I have said something" line that I have seen here so many times. If you're asking yourself and a message board that question, the answer 99% of the time is yes you should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, its extremely important to politely point out non-trivial mistakes a dealer makes. How else will they learn? My boss and co-workers point out my mistakes, because it makes more sense then ignoring them and complaining about them.

I've also started a new program known as JJShabado's Dealer Financial Incentive Program. I tip $1/pot for any pot bigger than 2 or 3 BB. I then keep a running total of good/bad things the dealer does. If they're up to a net 2 mistakes I increase my minimum tipping pot size a couple of BB. At around 2 big mistakes or 4 small mistakes I stop tipping altogether. If the dealer is doing good things I'll tip them any pot, or move the tip up to 2 or 3 dollars. In the grand scheme of things its absolutely ineffective, but it sure makes me feel better.

Here's a list of things I consider mistakes:
- Not giving absent/missed blinds buttons
- Not noticing new players
- Losing track of action/not paying attention multiple times
- Multiple misdeals / exposed cards
- [censored] up standard hand reading
- Rudeness
- General inappropriate/incorrect behaviour
- Sucking up to regulars and ignoring the rest of the table when this causes minor problems
- Giving poker advice

Good things
- Taking control of a game, staying on top of the action
- Being generally good mannered
- Being fast (but accurate)
- Dealing with a belligerent player in a good way
- Generally being extremely professional and capable.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM

dont you have homework???