Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: 1GB RAM with New Vista Laptop--will it work??

why are you getting that piece of crap AMD processor? Get a core2.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you getting that piece of crap AMD processor? Get a core2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear God. Let's not start this. You know both of them are fine for everyday use.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is vista worth upgrading to now? or is it still bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got my new computer a few weeks ago with vista and I had alot of problems with programs 4-5 errors/etc now im only down too 1 as drivers and window's updates have fixed them. AND LOVE VISTA People are really smashing how bad vista is but nothing is really that bad as it seems.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 AM

I'll chime in....I've got a dual boot XP and Vista laptop and I love Vista, so much so I've abandoned XP except when I just have to boot it up for something.(about once a week at most)

I just ordered one of my customers a new budget Dell laptop with Vista on it. For $150 more they could have gotten twice the laptop but honestly they didn't need or want the extras that I wouldn't go without. They got a good laptop that will do all they want/need to do and the price was right, $764 shipped + tax because we are in Texas. Here are the basic specs....

Inspiron 1501
AMD Turion 64 x 2 TL-50 (1.6GHz/512KB)
15.4 inch Wide-screen WXGA Display
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
ATI RADEON Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory
80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron1501
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)
MS WORKS 8.5
3 year Extended Warranty Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response

I've got that laptop sitting right next to my Dell Insprion 6400 with:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz
2GB RAM
128MB ATI video card
160GB hard drive
Vista Home Premium
3 yr ext. warranty

I could have bought my exact laptop for him last week for $150 more. The comparison of them side by side? Honestly, mine blows his away. I think it's the 2 GB of RAM more than anything. However, my customer's laptop is still plenty fast for basic web surfing, email, music, photos and some poker. However, the extra RAM would make a ton of difference in my opinion.

If 2 GB is out of your price range then don't worry about it. The prices on RAM drop every day and you can upgrade down the road if you think you need it. Despite all the rumors, Vista runs just fine on 1 GB of RAM, just like XP runs fine with 512 MB of RAM. At the same time, 1 GB of RAM is very noticeable in XP, just like 2 GB is very noticeable in Vista.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend waiting for the first service pack. Mainly for application compatibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-fracking-men.

I'm about to "upgrade" my "Overkill" Vista machine to XP x64 because there are simply too many driver incompatibilities. I'll run Vista underf VMWare if I need to test something under it. I can't run Vista Ultimate 64-bit because there are no drivers for my hard drive controller or other hardware, and I need 64-bit because I have 4 GB RAM and my 768 MB graphics card steals 1.5 GB of upper RAM from mappable memory due to the 4 GB limitation of 32-bit systems.

Early adoption SUCKS.

Stick with XP for now unless you have a very good reason to shift, and MAYBE consider switching when Vista SP1 comes out in 2009.

Jester
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when Vista SP1 comes out in 2009.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put 90% of my roll on the under, please.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend waiting for the first service pack. Mainly for application compatibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

A-fracking-men.

I'm about to "upgrade" my "Overkill" Vista machine to XP x64 because there are simply too many driver incompatibilities. I'll run Vista underf VMWare if I need to test something under it. I can't run Vista Ultimate 64-bit because there are no drivers for my hard drive controller or other hardware, and I need 64-bit because I have 4 GB RAM and my 768 MB graphics card steals 1.5 GB of upper RAM from mappable memory due to the 4 GB limitation of 32-bit systems.

Early adoption SUCKS.

Stick with XP for now unless you have a very good reason to shift, and MAYBE consider switching when Vista SP1 comes out in 2009.

Jester

[/ QUOTE ]

Or since OP isn't going to be running hardware that is probably being used by less than 15% of all users he could just get Vista and be fine.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A-fracking-men.

Early adoption SUCKS.

Jester

[/ QUOTE ]

Or since OP isn't going to be running hardware that is probably being used by less than 15% of all users he could just get Vista and be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still driver problems with many of the more popular video cards from ATI and Nvidia. It all depends on your exact setup. That's why Microsoft made such a detailed Vista compatibility test. Everyone should run that before considering. On the other hand, some drivers that are out are supposed to be compatible with Vista, and they work, but not without problems.

And since I run 64 bit Ultimate I can't use nuthin'!! But it is getting better every week.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. And, if I read the OP's post correctly, he's looking at buying a new laptop....which will not be sold loaded with Vista without compatible drivers.

I'll say it again, for the average home/home office user wanting to surf the web, watch movies, listen to music, play a little poker, print photos Vista will do just fine for them. Granted, there is NO need to run out and upgrade, but instead I'm talking about buying a new PC with Vista pre-loaded.