Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Fighter 5 Premiere - SPOILERS

They should call this season: TUF 5 - The Teenage Years.

I love the lightweight division but this season seems to be filled with immature guys with huge Napoleon complexes.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Is it just me or does the hillbilly that won the first match bear a striking resemblance to Danger Barch from Million Dollar Baby?

This season is like The Real World season 3. Its just a game now, there isn't a viable twist to having them in the same house, outside of potential fights to get more tv time.

The show would be better with half of the contestants and a round robin format, where each fighter on a team has to fight each other fighter. They could do 2 fights a show, have the show take longer than 6 weeks, and probably end up with a decent product. Even 6 total in this type of format would be more enjoyable.

As it is now, there basically 4 contenders out of the 16, with maybe a dark horse in the mix. The rest are cans.

Regarding Miletich as a coach, it wouldn't happen, because Dana is pissed that so many guys went to coach IFL teams.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Happy birthday, Jason!

A S U: This fight?
[ QUOTE ]
Heavyweight bout: Antoni Hardonk vs. Justin McCully

McCully defeats Hardonk by unanimous judges' decision. All three judges at ringside scored the bout 30-27 for McCully. McCully was a late-notice replacement for Frank Mir.

[/ QUOTE ]

McCully did school Hardonk, but I'm not sure he was the better fighter. Hardonk seemed like he totally could not get over the first time in the ring jitters. McCully seemed totally out of his element on his feet, and in not too great of shape.

I dunno, the fight was disappointing to me. It seemed like a not so good fighter beating on a good but not great fighter who was just not with it.

Perhaps I am armchair quarterbacking too much.

Ray
Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hardonk seemed like he totally could not get over the first time in the ring jitters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardonk has fought in the UFC once before and won with a leg kick
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hardonk seemed like he totally could not get over the first time in the ring jitters.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I thought they said that both fighters were first time in the UFC? My bad.

I then have no excuse for how bad he fought. :P

Hurmm, I just checked Sherdog:

[ QUOTE ]
Win Sherman Pendergarst KO (Punch) UFC 65-Bad Intentions 11/18/2006 1 3:15

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure it was a kick? It's irrelevant to your point, as obviously you are correct that he did fight before. I'm just curious is Sherdog has it wrong.

Ray
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I thought they said that both fighters were first time in the UFC? My bad.

I then have no excuse for how bad he fought. :P

Hurmm, I just checked Sherdog:

[ QUOTE ]
Win Sherman Pendergarst KO (Punch) UFC 65-Bad Intentions 11/18/2006 1 3:15

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure it was a kick? It's irrelevant to your point, as obviously you are correct that he did fight before. I'm just curious is Sherdog has it wrong.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remeber the fight correctly, Hardonk hit the other guy with a hard punch that sort of KOed him and then followed it up with a really hard leg kick that completely floored him. So I guess it's arguable whether the leg kick or punch finished it.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happy birthday, Jason!

A S U: This fight?
[ QUOTE ]
Heavyweight bout: Antoni Hardonk vs. Justin McCully

McCully defeats Hardonk by unanimous judges' decision. All three judges at ringside scored the bout 30-27 for McCully. McCully was a late-notice replacement for Frank Mir.

[/ QUOTE ]

McCully did school Hardonk, but I'm not sure he was the better fighter. Hardonk seemed like he totally could not get over the first time in the ring jitters. McCully seemed totally out of his element on his feet, and in not too great of shape.

I dunno, the fight was disappointing to me. It seemed like a not so good fighter beating on a good but not great fighter who was just not with it.

Perhaps I am armchair quarterbacking too much.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the guy Justin McCully. Agree it was a pretty boring bout. Justin worked him pretty good I thought. If he was fighting somebody with any ground skills whatsoever he would have lost. I can't believe he got out of that arm-bar. Justin probably wasn't in as good of shape because he was a last minute replacement. I think they said he had 2 weeks notice??? Not sure.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's the guy Justin McCully. Agree it was a pretty boring bout. Justin worked him pretty good I thought. If he was fighting somebody with any ground skills whatsoever he would have lost. I can't believe he got out of that arm-bar. Justin probably wasn't in as good of shape because he was a last minute replacement. I think they said he had 2 weeks notice??? Not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, he had 2 weeks notice, and I do give him a ton of credit for that fight on such short notice. Joe Rogan mentioned that the armbar was weak because Hardonk did not know to use his legs to extend it.

I agree that Justin worked him pretty good. I just don't think either fighter was that great in that fight. :P

Ray
Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM

What I do before each season, is I look up the bios of the fighters, then see if I can look up videos of them. Before the season started, I picked the finale as Hill vs Diaz, and I'm sticking to it.

(Hill is the 6'4 guy, while Diaz should be leaps ahead of the other guys.)
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I do before each season, is I look up the bios of the fighters, then see if I can look up videos of them. Before the season started, I picked the finale as Hill vs Diaz, and I'm sticking to it.

(Hill is the 6'4 guy, while Diaz should be leaps ahead of the other guys.)

[/ QUOTE ]

What a tease!

Links you have found please?! This has the makings of a great post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And lord, I hope Hill doesn't survive to the end. He's already annoying as hell one episode in.

Ray