Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Billy Gillespie to Kentucky

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible day for Aggies (my brother is one). What Gillispie did at A&M in 3 years was nothing short of spectacular. Hope the UK fans give him at least one season before they are ready to throw him under the bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lofty expectations of UK fans have been one of the most exaggerated aspects of this coaching situation over the last few weeks. For the most part, Kentucky fans want to be one of the top teams in the SEC and be competitive at a national level most years. We do not expect to win a national championship (or even make a final four) every year. I think the world of Tubby Smith, but he definetely, from a results standpoint, was leading the program in the wrong direction. I would have loved for him to have turned things back around in Lexington, but it was not to be. I am really looking forward to seeing what Gillispie can accomplish here at UK.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Great hire for UK. Gillespie is a tremendous coach, and I expect UK to be back in the National Championship picture in no time.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 PM

ESPN said $2.3m/year.

WOOOOOOWww.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 PM

Being 'introduced' just after noon on Good Friday.
Nice symbolism.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Even though I felt this coming I still want to puke.

Congrats, UK, you got a good one.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A weak Big 12 has just gotten weaker. Self and Barnes will rule this conference for years to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

and with the K St meltdown, my prophetic pronouncement about the Jayhawks having a good chance to go undefeated next year looks better and better
Old 04-06-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think he will be a great fit at KU. Still somewhat sleazy that he ended up going there after signing a big extension at TA&M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sleazy at all, he never signed the deal. Plus, TAMU's AD gave UK permission, he knew what was gonna happen. Gonna be interesting to see who if anyone comes to UK with him, he had the #2 center coming to TAMU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Justice blog on the topic---good IMO
Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?s...&type=lgns

Awesome hire for the Wildcats.. no wonder he had been hesitant to sign the long term deal with Texas A&M

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a great hire

guy was an assistant at Illinois for one year and everyone loved him here. Hell, most of the idiots on Illinois message boards wanted Weber out this year, because they thought they could get Billy G in to run things.

Guy canvasses Texas, which is really good considering how much more talent seems to be coming out of that area these days.

Smooth talker-great at office politics, etc

good Xs and Os

plays a style that appeals to recruits and fans

Definitely not the homerun of Billy Donovan, but Gillespie might be a better fit. He's still hungry and has something to prove. Donovan is rumored to be thinking about the NBA.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:47 PM

“I am thankful for the commitment Texas A&M continues to make to allow us to do the things we need to do, to achieve our ultimate goal—winning a national championship...The commitment has been there since day one and continues to grow stronger still. While it’s embarrassing to me to be compensated so well to perform my passion for a school I love, I am sincerely appreciative of the efforts of Bill Byrne, our university administration, the board of regents and everyone associated with Texas A&M for their personal support they continue to show. We will continue to do our best to try and make the Texas A&M family proud.”

Wonder how fast he jumps Kentucky for the NBA.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think he will be a great fit at KU. Still somewhat sleazy that he ended up going there after signing a big extension at TA&M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sleazy at all, he never signed the deal. Plus, TAMU's AD gave UK permission, he knew what was gonna happen. Gonna be interesting to see who if anyone comes to UK with him, he had the #2 center coming to TAMU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Justice blog on the topic---good IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

There sure was alot of venom and name-calling in the blog entry you consider "good."