Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Travelling overseas alone

I think of one of the more important reasons for travelling alone is that a good travelling companion is very hard to find. Much better to travel alone and find a good one as you go. The reason is that a good friend doesn't necessarily make a good travel buddy, but you won't find this out until you go.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 AM

If you have the people skills to make some "single-serving friends" you'll have a good time. If your only conversations are with store cashiers you'll probably get lonely. This has been my experience, at least.

edit: since you speak English, you have a huge advantage in this.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:39 AM

quids,

Going alone on a trip like this is so-so-so-awesome.

I will come back tomorrow when I am less drunk and provide you with some detailed advice.

But man, based on what I know of you, you will have a dominatingly awesome trip doing something like this alone.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:37 AM

This is an awesome thread.

I'm in a similar position, i'm going to be an Australian staying in Las Vegas for a few weeks after my 21st birthday playing poker, then i'll hit up Chicago, NY and LA for a few days or so at a time.

I'm glad to hear people saying good things about traveling alone.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is that a good friend doesn't necessarily make a good travel buddy, but you won't find this out until you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does everyone consider to be traits of a good travel buddy?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 AM

Travelling alone rocks. Travelling with great companions is probably better. Travelling with sucky companions is horrible. Good travel companions are adaptable, not easily stressed, and able to put up with minor and sometimes major discomforts and inconveniences w/o whining. Ideally they should also be into seeing roughly the same stuff as you, spending about the same amount, drinking about the same amount, and like to get up around the same time. Many of these things are hard to find out until you actually travel with someone.

guids, seriously, do it. Italians are the most warm and welcoming people I've experienced. So much so that everyone travelling in the country seems to pick up the same vibe. It's completely natural to sit and have a 30 minute conversation with a total stranger (local or traveller) about anything. You won't feel like you're travelling alone for long. Contrast that with London where despite the shared language, you're lucky if you can get a hello out of a local.

Feel free to PM me if you want to have a more in-depth conversation about Italy.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason is that a good friend doesn't necessarily make a good travel buddy, but you won't find this out until you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does everyone consider to be traits of a good travel buddy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adaptable, not moody, able to hold their drink, interesting, not too good looking but not too ugly, able to sleep in, able to get up early, not prone to being discouraged, open-minded, the same gender as you, not a tight-arse.....

oh, it's impossible. Just travel by yourself.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM

I've done this a lot, though pretty much only in europe, and had a great time. But I mostly met people on trains, in hostels, etc. My experience was that you do sometimes get depressed if you end up in a city that you don't really like that much (this is not likely to happen in Italy, unless you go to Milan) and can't meet people, which sounds like it might be the case if you're planning on driving between places and staying in hotels. A good compromise might be to plan to meet someone for a couple of days in the middle of the trip if this is possible, that way you have something to look forward to if you get bored/depressed but you're guaranteed you won't be with someone long enough for them to annoy you.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:44 AM

also, italian/sicilian women, what do they like, are they turned off by americans, do they like to party, etc? I know 2 sicilian chicks, but they are strippers and are whacked out of their gourds so I dont know what to expect in that regard.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM

I travelled the US from Australia for four months but like others I stayed in Hostels - this was not only for financial reasons but most importantly, the social interaction they provide vs hotels....I actually stayed in hotels a couple of times along the way to have my own space when I got burnt out with excessive partying which is prone to happen. I bought a car and there were people queuing up to provide company for my next destination....If you are social at all, then hotels will offer a lonely experience vs hostels but if you like a lot of time by yourself, hostels aren't the place for you.