Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Billy Donovan staying & 04s leaving

Well if UK is so big as others have stated, the franchise should recruit itself, right? They don't need a coach as good as Donovan.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, 15000 fans on their man board. Sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

my favorite post was about them having 4,000 more fans on their board than Florida can get to a home game

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? Our stadium can't hold anymore.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that there is still a decent chance Donovan will not be coaching at Florida next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt it. I think you are underestimating the conversation Rick & Billy had about the NBA.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM

lol @ uk fans:

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?f...888&style=2
Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that there is still a decent chance Donovan will not be coaching at Florida next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

Given your lofty view of UK, I'm shocked you think that he would turn down UK, and find something else worth going to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised but not shocked. I think it had everything to do with the timing and the events of the past two weeks. Had they lost to Butler, for instance, I think he'd be out recruiting for UK today.

With UF winning it all again, then Foley scheduling the parade for Friday (a stroke of genius btw) right before Donovan leaves for vacation, it was going to be very difficult for him to leave during that time frame.

And prestige isn't everything. No one (at least not anyone who knows what they're talking about) would tell you that the Florida job is a better job than the Kentucky job. But his entire family lives there now, he is adored, he has a large recruiting base, has probably a 10-year grace period, can play golf year-round etc. All things considered it's a pretty damn good gig. Easy to see why he would want to stay.

Tom Izzo, for instance, may be contacted about the UK job, and he may not want to leave Michigan State. Doesn't mean the UK job isn't a better job.

Kentucky fans just need to stop and put things in perspective (which we suck at). Kentucky basketball is still in better shape than it was a month ago, and while it will take at least two years to dig out of the mess Tubby Smith left behind, the program will be trending up regardless of who is hired.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM

John Feinstein said the UK job is the worst in America because if you don't win the NCAAs every year, the fans will be miserable and you will too.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Feinstein said the UK job is the worst in America because if you don't win the NCAAs every year, the fans will be miserable and you will too.

[/ QUOTE ]

well...John Feinstein is pretty crappy, so he just backed up it being one of the best jobs.

I mean, Tubby fails and ends up with a golden parachute at Minnesota.
Pitino is still god and raking it in.
Sutton ended up in a comfy spot at Okie St and set things up for his own son.

How bad a job can it be?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 PM

I think it's funny how all the Kentucky fans keep saying how awesome the program is, how great the job is, but yet they still can't find a good coach. Guess it isn't desirable as it once was. Think about it, if it was a premier program, wouldn't coaches be dying to get this job? I think the pressure that comes with the job outweighs the job itself. It's very hard to be successful at former premier program, just look at what Alabama has gone through since 1995.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM

And I still think there's a chance he takes the Miami Heat job in June/July, although unlikely.

Unless Florida offers him the Gulf of Mexico, I think it will be very hard to resist the lure of the NBA, now and in the future. He always seemed like more of an ambitious Pitino-type than a Coach K-type to me but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's funny how all the Kentucky fans keep saying how awesome the program is, how great the job is, but yet they still can't find a good coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has been offered the job yet. Read much?

No one has been offered the Kentucky job and rejected it since at least the 1930's (although admittedly Donovan would have likely received a formal offer if not for today's comments).

My guess is the offer will go to Gillespie or Barnes and one of them will accept. The only coach being talked about who I could see rejecting an offer at this point would be Izzo.