Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Who has the most physical tells?

when i was at the uspc someone told me that jamie was going to switch up his talking tells to screw people up
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But thinking you get tells on players based on TV viewing where you can see holecards runs the risk of the "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also, there's the editing factor. You may see someone do something 3 times, and each time they're bluffing, but there may have been 3 other times that got edited out, where they did the same thing with a big hand.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 AM

Lanzalot, I try to be completely immobile with all my hands, whether I have the nuts or am bluffing. That doesn't mean I don't have physical tells as I felt like Raymer could see right through me that year, but I at least attempt to prevent them by acting the same way during every hand.

Matthew
Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lanzalot, I try to be completely immobile with all my hands, whether I have the nuts or am bluffing. That doesn't mean I don't have physical tells as I felt like Raymer could see right through me that year, but I at least attempt to prevent them by acting the same way during every hand.

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Well see, then I'm a victim of "after this, therefore because of this." When watching on TV, it's unlikely you will see a player often enough to establish what their baseline mannerisms are. For the superstars that are on TV all the time, it is more likely, but even then I'm skeptical. TV doesn't allow you to place the actions/mannerisms in the greater context of the moment. I saw that one hand with you and decided it was a tell, but it wasn't. I like your books BTW.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Sheiky, during HSP2, was running his mouth like a big shot pretty much the whole time, but then went suddenly silent and serious when he hit his nut flush. It was so obvious, the whole table just started cracking up and, of course, DN couldn't resist making a comment about it (inappropriately, as he wasn't in the hand).

And yes, I agree that Devin Porter's "Oh, I hate that card. What can I do now?" wince was awful on this week's WPT.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Someone who seems to give nothing away is Chris Ferguson. He has the same routine every hand once he checks his cards and decides to play. Then he's completely stone-faced. Pretty impressive.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM

Paul Magriel, when he got the nuts he wriggles his tongue like Jabba the Hut.