Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Election thread part II - fundraising

[ QUOTE ]
he had more online donors then Hillary had altogether

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very interested as to where you got this stat from...

Not in a I dont believe you sense...I am just very interested for various reasons!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the impacts of this level of fundraising going to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obama will be able to hire and maintain a top rate organization to help him run his campaign. My understanding is that Obama's fund raising has been phenomonal given the number of contributers and the size of their contributions. A great example of the power of a popular grass roots movement and how today's technology can facilitate such a movement.

The money raised by Edwards keeps him in the race and allows him to run a "top tier" campaign.

[ QUOTE ]
Are lesser-known candidates going to drop out far earlier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think so.

[ QUOTE ]
Will voter turnouts increase?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume we're referring to a higher percentage of registered voters among the voters eligible and a higher percentage of registered voters that actually vote. Yes on both counts IMO.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you guys think that US politics needs a limit on the amount of money that can be raised and spent campaigning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what McCain-Feingold was supposed to do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?

Wiki on McCain-Feingold
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he had more online donors then Hillary had altogether

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very interested as to where you got this stat from...

Not in a I dont believe you sense...I am just very interested for various reasons!

[/ QUOTE ]

probalby something I read on Huffingtonpost.com, which means it linked to another article somewhere - but I can't find it anymore -

from ABCnews.com, however -

Obama received donations from more than 100,000 donors, far surpassing any other candidate, including Clinton (50,000); Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., (45,000); former Sen. John Edwards, D-NC, (40,000); or former GOP Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (34,000).

"And 90 percent of Obama's donors contributed $100 or less, as opposed to the presumbed larger percentage of Clinton donors who contributed the maximum contribution allowed by law, $2,300 per person per voting cycle. "

"That means exponential growth is possible for him in a way that is not available to Hillary Clinton right now," explained Democratic strategist Joe Trippi. "[The Clintons] were counting on blowing everybody out this first quarter and sort of, like, slamming the door."

--------------

Huffington Post is a great source of news from a progressive standpoint, but they're more then willing to examine the issues between Democratic Candidates as well -

RB
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 PM

John McCain's poor fundraising has forced him to fire most of his staff and his top level people are now working for free. This could very well be the end of McCain's presidential ambitions - I mostly feel bad for my old friends and co-workers who moved to New Hampshire to be on his staff and are now out of a job.

Link to article
Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you guys think that US politics needs a limit on the amount of money that can be raised and spent campaigning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. In fact, I think it's one of the most serious problem in American politics. I can think of some solutions, but none of them are perfect.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:47 PM

I think McCain will punch out within the next month or two.

Romney is also not going to be able to raise enough cash to stay in long-term.

Republican nomination will come down to Guiliani vs. Fred Thompson, which is pretty awful.

Do people really think John Edwards will be able to hang around? Looks like Hillary/Obama to me, and then it will be a pretty tight race.

Bloomberg WILL run, and can make some noise. He'll piss away at least a billion on this.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. In fact, I think it's one of the most serious problem in American politics. I can think of some solutions, but none of them are perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

In canqda most if not all campaign money is supplied by the government. The amount you get depends on the number of votes you received in the previous election, which also means there are no wasted votes.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do people really think John Edwards will be able to hang around? Looks like Hillary/Obama to me, and then it will be a pretty tight race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Who else are Southern Democrats going to vote for? His plan should be to let Hillary and Obama fight it out for the same votes, while he goes for the voters who don't like their candidates to talk too fast.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think McCain will punch out within the next month or two.

Romney is also not going to be able to raise enough cash to stay in long-term.

Republican nomination will come down to Guiliani vs. Fred Thompson, which is pretty awful.

Bloomberg WILL run, and can make some noise. He'll piss away at least a billion on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he told Ann Curry he was not running. Who would lie to Ann Curry? I can't see Bloomberg making noise until the general.

As Romney and McCain fade, this looks like it is Fred Thompson's to lose. The Democrats are scared of him. I'm already hearing lines like, "Former Washington Lobbyist and Ultimate Insider" Fred Thompson. Guiliani has no chance in a primary against a "true conservative" like Thompson. Really though your hearing the scary words like "electability." And his senate record is really poor and he gained the reputation as a "do nothing" legeslator.

The longer Obama stays around the more trouble Hillary has. She will have more money than him or Edwards, but when your looking at the three of them, she looks the worst.

If Obama can be accepted, he is the best candidate for the "it" factor that the whole country looks for. He can mesmerize like no other candidate. He is the closest mold to Clinton and Reagan. It's just will he be able to keep up with the Hillary Clinton money tree orchard.