Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Getting out of a ticket on a technicality

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, just go to the hearing, tell the judge that you did go up it the wrong way, but no cars were coming and the house is only 20 feet up the street. Also say that if there were cars coming, you would have gone all the way around, but because you judged it to be safe, you made a safe decision. You didn't put yourself or any other person in harm's way because you made sure no other cars were coming.

[/ QUOTE ]
Judge, I only shoot heroin in my house, in safe doses. I judge it to be safe, and made a safe decision. If it wasn't safe I wouldn't do it. I didn't put myself or others in harms way.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, just go to the hearing, tell the judge that you did go up it the wrong way, but no cars were coming and the house is only 20 feet up the street. Also say that if there were cars coming, you would have gone all the way around, but because you judged it to be safe, you made a safe decision. You didn't put yourself or any other person in harm's way because you made sure no other cars were coming.

[/ QUOTE ]
Judge, I only shoot heroin in my house, in safe doses. I judge it to be safe, and made a safe decision. If it wasn't safe I wouldn't do it. I didn't put myself or others in harms way.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

round, im curious what youre basing your opinion on and/or what your experience in this is? you seem quite knowledgeable about the law.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM

20 feet? Couldn't park on Dodge and walk?

You go to Univ of Iowa?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
round, im curious what youre basing your opinion on and/or what your experience in this is? you seem quite knowledgeable about the law.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hardly. Only that I've tried it a number of times, and it's a set up to fail. These guys deal with people trying to get out of tickets all the time. Everytime someone comes up with a new angle, they just set it up so it doesn't work next time. They aren't fools.

The one time that really did it for me was when I was contesting a speeding ticket on a brand new car. I literally had a signed affidavit from the dealer's service department showing that the car's speedometer was 10 mph off (I was ticketed for 12 over). Judge said, "Ok, no fine, just court costs". WTF?! Still cost me $60, and that was 15 years ago. Unreal.

Sure, you can hire an attorney, but what's that going to cost you?

It just isn't worth it.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Round,

What other way can he get out of it? or lessened? It's the angles that are going to work. I don't care what your past is, each situation is unique and specific.

The only way to fight it is to bring up some kind of angle and try to get out of it. He's clearly guilty and by your statements, he's better off not fighting it.

AND, your heroin analogy is grossly overexaggerated. Drugs and a traffic violation are two completely different things. If I stopped someone for every traffic violation that I saw, meaning the minor things, I would be stopping someone every 10 minutes.

My point is, most traffic violations are minor things and the only way to fight it and have a chance is to argue a way that made it a minor thing.

So you can go do your safe doses of heroin, but don't give advice when you think you know more than you really do.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:07 PM

A mistake on a ticket *can* be enough to get you off. It depends on the magnitude of the mistake. If they misspell your last name by one letter, it won't help you in the least. But if you were driving a blue sports car and the ticket says red pickup truck, then we'd be getting somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen this work in court before?

(Ifx is a cop, in case anyone here didn't know.)
Old 04-03-2007, 05:14 PM

youtalkfunny,

Yes, a different colored vehicle can get you off of a ticket.

I went to a court case when I was in the Police Academy of 2 guys fighting underage citations. They got out of it because the State Trooper never wrote it on the citation what their real birthdates were. He never testified to it in court either. They had a lawyer and the lawyer fought that and it worked.

Another case, which was just recently, a guy got a DUI where he wrecked into a house. He pled not guilty. He worked for the local newspaper. Back in 2003, the officer who arrested him was in a bind with Officer #2 for his (#1) g/f blowing the officer (#2) to get out of a DUI of her own. It was such a mess and luckily before I become a cop. Anyways, the guy with the DUI was clearly guilty, but he pled not guilty and got a lawyer. They had a jury trial and the lawyer pounded to the jury that the only reason the cop arrested the guy is because he had a thing against the newspaper reporters because the whole fiasco was reported in the paper. He ended up getting out of when he was CLEARLY drunk. Officer #2 no longer works for the dept. and there is still problems. - No further details will be given.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, you can hire an attorney, but what's that going to cost you?

It just isn't worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the late '90's, it cost me $50 flat fee plus court costs. So I spent about $300 total to get two tickets fixed and saved thousands and thousands in increased insurance rates.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:25 PM

This happened to me late Thursday night last week. Cop asked me if I was retarded, gave me an alcohol test then told me to challenge it in court because I will most likely win.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's clearly guilty and by your statements, he's better off not fighting it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. It's called -- common sense.

[ QUOTE ]
AND, your heroin analogy is grossly overexaggerated. Drugs and a traffic violation are two completely different things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except that they are both against the law, which is what a judge, judges. You sure you're a cop?

[ QUOTE ]
My point is, most traffic violations are minor things and the only way to fight it and have a chance is to argue a way that made it a minor thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why aren't ALL "minor" traffic violations that are argued in court dismissed? I mean, they're "minor", right?

[ QUOTE ]
don't give advice when you think you know more than you really do.

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice was to pay the stupidity fine. He was stupid. He's guilty. I stand by my advice.