Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: ...

I was on a mega binge every weekend with drinking and eating. In September I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I immediately changed my diet, quite drinking, and hit the treadmill for an hour every single day along with light/cardiovascular oriented work on my arms, legs, stomach, and chest. I felt better, dropped 36 lbs, and was capable of much more physically than I have been in quite a while.

I had recently moved up limits to a level that represents a significant amount of money to me. My poker playing improved very rapidly and since then I've posted the best results I've ever had at poker. I don't know for certain that there is a correlation between the diet/exercise and my poker playing, but there certainly may be. I also note that I kept the diet, but quit exercising due to laziness at the end of December. I had a miserable session Friday night that felt like I was a human punching bag. Overall I did not drop too much, but got a well above average number of face pairs, and lost nearly all of them. I played poorly as well and it cost me several BB when I *knew* my opponent had me beat and I ought to have mucked the hand. My poor play has had me in a funk for a few days. Well last night I hit the treadmill and weights for an hour while watching the NCAA finals and the Angels game.

I immediately felt better. And I feel good today.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I vividly recall film of Garry Kasparov in training, all the swimming he would do. Man that guy was hairy.

David Sklansky must be smarter than Garry Kasparov. What are the odds he's hairier? I should start a new topic for such important questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

There a handful of guys in the world smarter than Gary Kasparov. And with the type of things that are normally on an IQ test I'd bet on Gary. Bobby Fischer was somewhere around 180.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I'm not talking about IQ - any idiot can have that - I'm talking about the practical intelligence that David Sklansky applies with such famous success in poker, gaming and life.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: running a mile a DAY improves your poker PLAY?

There was a big feature in newsweek a few weeks ago on exercise and the brain. Everything seems to point to physical fitness as a factor in intelligence, learning, etc.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: running a mile a DAY improves your poker PLAY?

Donger's post got me curious, I found this link which talks about the article:

http://www.sharpbrains.com/blog/2007...n-in-newsweek/

According to Fred Gage, PhD, of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, “We now know that exercise helps generate new brain cells, even in the aging brain.”