Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: jumping rope

It's good for warming up for many athletes. It's also a key part of a fighter's training routine. Beyond that, it gets a big MEH.

As far as it being a fair test of cardiovascular capability, you're wrong.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:30 PM

J. Brown,

I don't even think you understand why a highly skill specific activity would not translate into a good test of cardiovascular fitness.

All your conclusions in this thread (aside from your ad hominem attack) are non sequitur.

Perhaps starting a thread that contained information that was somewhat pertinent such as a plyo program incorporating jumping rope on your dynamic day or how to use jumping rope in small segements as part of a lower body feeder workouts program would have been better than creating a misleading thread with errant information while taking a condescending attitude in your conclusion: "I will check back soon".
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM

ok ok, i get it.

the check back soon was a total joke, btw, i was certainly not meant to come across any other way.

my point, however poorly i made it was this.....

jumping rope is something not many people do.

it is very difficult.

no it is not a cardio test per se (i should not have said that) again i know it is a very specific skill, but if you can jump rope for any extended period of time you are generally pretty fit and/or coordinated imho.

i had just attempted some rope jumping for the first time in a million years and was amazed at how taxing it was, so i posted a "test" for the forum, it was in jest.

just thought i would see if there was any interest in it or if someone would respond in a postitive manner or give some advice on it as an exercise, instead you just responded with negativity. awesome.

my bad. i am definetly done with you and this forum will only see me as a lurker. does this make you happy?

sorry for wasting time with my bad advice (i wasn't trying to give any, only stir up some interest i guess) sorry if my intentions were not well thought out or explained.

J.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 PM

I don't care what you do with your time or if you post at all.

Just don't go around spouting obvious inconsistencies.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM

Thremp hates jumping rope and consistently undercuts its potential. Don't let anyone scare you off doing something that you enjoy and that keeps you active and works for you.

Jumping rope is a perfect element in a Tabata training protocol, which is an extremely great work-out. It can also yield a high aerobic load if you simply hyperventilate while diong it. After not running in years, I was able to easily keep up with my marathon running friend running on the beach for 7 miles because of my rope jumping. Jumping rope is a dirt cheap, incredibly portable, very versatile exercise that can be worked into routines very easily. It provides a lot of value because it can keep you going while relaxing virtually every muscle in your body besides your calves. So it's a great way to let you recover from upper body exercises and a lot of lower body exercises, too, while still keeping a good or even great heart rate going.

You won't find 2+2 is free of prejudice, extremism, or chances to slam on newbies, so don't expect it here. If you're here at all for fitness advice, frankly, you're in a pretty inferior place. A great deal of the fitness advice here is very bad, and often presented in a bad way to top it off. The best thing going for the fitness advice around here is that the number of juicers espousing juicer work-outs for everyone and juicer goals for everyone is minimal.

2+2 is much better for poker and off-topic general chat than anything more specific like politics, religion, fitness, movies, etc.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:13 AM

Cant say enough good things about jumping rope. Especially for people like me whos knees have been through some bad times.

I jump rope a few times a week for regular cardio and as warmup for muay thai..

Its better cardio and less impact then most other activities.

I recommend some practice and a decent rap album with a solid bass line (Wu Tang is good for this). Granted Im not a big rap fan, but for boxing and skippin rope, the bass line works well..
Old 03-31-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I jump rope a few times a week for regular cardio and as warmup for muay thai..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea same. I've done Muay Thai at two different schools before and they both start their classes with doing some jump ropes. It's a good workout. I'm pretty sure there is no way I can do 10 min straight without missing a jump somewhere.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM

I still don't understand the skill element of jumping rope making it worthless for cardio. By the same measure, swimming or rowing would be equally pointless because performance in both is strongly tied to technique.

Jumping rope can be made incredibly difficult no matter your skill level. Thremp is right that single under two foot jumping is going to get very very easy after just a little practive. So what? Try alternating feet, do double unders, or just jump faster and you will be gasping for breath. All the other arguements for the benefit of jumping rope still stand. By the time you are doing continuous single leg crossover double unders your agility, balance, and co-ordination will be greatly improved.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:32 PM

Smiley,

Yeah, but thats why its a bad test. We can take NBA players and throw them in a pool and watch them drown. It doesn't mean they have poor cardio, it indicative of a bad test.

There are numerous benefits to actually jumping rope, I just don't do it because at this point in my life its almost completely not on my radar of skills I want to develop.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM

FFS Thremp, how stupid are you? "watch them drown?" Really, you like being banned?