Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Bizarro Sklansky lists

Did you ever think maybe the reason that 'standing in place on a pole' isn't a recognized sport is because it is very boring to both play and watch?

I guess though if it happens on Survivor that it must be true. Women are probably great pole standers. If only the world wasn't out to get them, and gave this exciting new sport a chance to live.

Women probably are "better" at figure skating and gymnastics (and I guess synchronized swimming too), if you're determined to find a sport they're better at. Women's figure skating, in turn, gets much better ratings than men's. (OMG maybe the male Gods of declaring what is and what isn't a sport should eliminate figure skating!) But by the qualitative (and complicated) nature of the scoring, it doesn't make for good analytical discussion, especially since there are different assumed standards for each gender.

A female athlete is probably more likely to be better than a male at things involving balance, grace, and art (as opposed to speed, strength, etc). So it makes sense that the sports they are "better" at will be of the qualitative nature. But the truth is men and women are just different. Overall, men are probably much "better" at sports than women. So what? Why is it so hard for some people to just admit that genders are different? Being "equal" in the abstract sense (referring to how we relate to each other in society) is different than proving we are equal in every activity we encounter. Men perform better in some areas, women in others.

I wasn't even gonna bother replying to this, but I realized what you're saying highlights something I consider important. If you truly care about equality, you should be willing to be honest with our differences. And realize we are still equal anyways. People like you are searching for some artificial ideal of equality, and actually hurting its cause by misrepresenting it (because it's so easy to point to flaws in what you're saying). Why not stay true to what you really believe, and admit that men are probably better at sports, but that the innate equality of men and women overrides that.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thought of a good one!

Why when I am watching survivor and all they have to do is stand on a post for as long as possible the girls always seem to outlast the guys. Clearly women are good at this yet it is not a formal sport. Are all modern day sports designed to favor men least we lose to a woman!? I call for post standing to become an Olympic sport asap. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't watch survivor, so I don't know how this pole-standing competition was setup exactly. But I know that women typically have lower centres of gravity then men do due to the fact that men usually have more upper body mass. This fact would lead me to believe that women would have better balance when standing on a pole.

If it were hand-standing on a pole though, men would win hands down.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever think maybe the reason that 'standing in place on a pole' isn't a recognized sport is because it is very boring to both play and watch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I was joking that is why i put a [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] at the end there.

[ QUOTE ]
If you truly care about equality, you should be willing to be honest with our differences. And realize we are still equal anyways. People like you are searching for some artificial ideal of equality, and actually hurting its cause by misrepresenting it (because it's so easy to point to flaws in what you're saying).

[/ QUOTE ]

I intentionally exaggerated my claims in an attempt to point out that DS and other men here often overstate the superiority of men in a similar manner. That is why I used the word "bizzaro" in the thread tile. I am doing the opposite of what they do and you are right I look just as ridiculous. Thanks for replying tho you make good points.

So when DS and others do the opposite of what I just did do you think most people can "point out the flaws" in what they are saying? I can't they are too smart for me to find the flaws but I feel they are there nonetheless.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not stay true to what you really believe, and admit that men are probably better at sports, but that the innate equality of men and women overrides that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good and I do believe it.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM

OK, sorry for missing your exaggeration. I thought you might be somewhat joking, but I wasn't sure, so I figured it would be rude to suggest you were (in case you weren't).

[ QUOTE ]
I am doing the opposite of what they do and you are right I look just as ridiculous. Thanks for replying tho you make good points.

So when DS and others do the opposite of what I just did do you think most people can "point out the flaws" in what they are saying? I can't they are too smart for me to find the flaws but I feel they are there nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think DS is attempting to portray women in a negative light. Do you disagree that men do better at track, golf, whatever other sports he's brought up?

I guess you can argue that DS is biased against women based on his choice of discussion material. But sports make for good discussion because a lot of people like them and can relate to them. So I guess I've always assumed that was the reason he talks about them. Like I touched upon in my last post, it just so happens that the sports women are naturally better than men at are ones that are more difficult to analyze (at least for the average person). I assume DS would talk about those, and also compare women vs. men at figure skating (for example) if that were a feasible discussion. But that's just my opinion, maybe there is some sort of underlying bias and I give him too much credit.

As far as the PMS thing goes, I think David's point was IF we can conclude that it's an issue THEN it should be considered in that person's qualifications (no different than a person's intelligence, or where he went to college, or other factors that contribute to a person's perceived competence). You could also say that if a male's innate drive of testosterone was proven to be some sort of detriment, then that would be a valid knock against him. And I think David would agree with that.

DS often claims he is misunderstood, as if that is some sort of surprise to him, but I'm fairly confident that he knows exactly how some of the things he says will be taken, but says them anyways. I guess that's good in some ways, but it also leads many people to question his intentions. And perception really is reality to some extent, as much as he might wish there was objective truth to what he is saying.

In any event, thanks for clarifying what you meant.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think DS is attempting to portray women in a negative light. Do you disagree that men do better at track, golf, whatever other sports he's brought up?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just it I agree with him. It is not so much that he targets women he does this on other groups also. Like religion or race clearly he does it on purpose. He can't be a woman hating, bigoted, dream crusher can he? Yes he is making a point each time but only to people that knew the point before he started. Perhaps he just likes to draw people out that he feels are incapable of changing their minds and then seeing at what point they break. Because that is the only similarity I see in these three groups he targets. They never change their minds.

David I am ready to change my mind tell me where I am wrong and it will be done. Unless you want me to think I am better than a woman k. Cuz I am not some other males might be tho. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you a male feminist?

[ QUOTE ]
Are all modern day sports designed to favor men least we lose to a woman!?

[/ QUOTE ]

The sports aren't DESIGNED to favor men at all. Men tend to be favored in them due to other reasons, nothing to do with the design of the sport.

[/ QUOTE ]Men are designed to be favored in sports.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 AM

I ask you this.

Would you play 100 $1000 heads up matches against me (pretty much any form of poker)?

If not, is it because you are a moron or because men are superior?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Are you sure they always win. I haven't watched all the surviors or check but I thought the fire fighter guy that won a few years ago won a challenge like that. For some reason I feel like women have done well but not won most of these endurance/pain challanges. I'd like to see a list if someone knows this info.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure they always win. I haven't watched all the surviors or check but I thought the fire fighter guy that won a few years ago won a challenge like that. For some reason I feel like women have done well but not won most of these endurance/pain challanges. I'd like to see a list if someone knows this info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure at all I also have only watched a few parts of maybe 2 different survivors. I think the people that run survivor observe the strengths and weaknesses of each person during past contests and then change future contests to get results they feel would make for the best tv. Sometimes that is for the girl to win and sometimes it is for a guy to win. Each time depending on their strengths shown in past challenges they pick a challenge accordingly. Sometimes they might find they have a girl with no balance that they want to win so pole standing would be axed.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ask you this.

Would you play 100 $1000 heads up matches against me (pretty much any form of poker)?

If not, is it because you are a moron or because men are superior?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are asking me or the other guy? I will answer anyways. I am ok with being a moran and I don't play you because you seem confident and want to play me there must be a reason for that.