Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Jury Duty

Wet yourself and then don't draw any attention to it. When someone points it out or asks, deny everything but provide no alternate explanantion for the stain/smell.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 AM

If you want to get out of jury duty honestly, just tell them you can't be objective. Depending on the case, you can tailor your concern to the specific facts: the DA wouldn't have brought the case unless the defendant was probably guilty, the plaintiffs would have settled unless they had a dynamite case (or unless they were ridiculous wackjobs). The beautiful thing is that this stuff is all true and the idea of an impartial juror is more or less wishful thinking. But they'll take you off the jury for admitting it.

If I were called for jury duty, I would be excited to serve though.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Did jury duty last summer. In Massachusetts, you show up for one day only, which makes it a pleasure to serve. I was called to sit, but the defense attorney used his first objection to get rid of me without cause. I had a feeling that when he looked at my occupation (college professor) I wouldn't last long on the jury. I returned to my seat, and another woman was called. She was smartly dressed in business attire. She barely had ime to get out of her seat before she was dismissed without cause. Apparently, he attorney was looking for a certain type.

Once they had a jury impanelled, we were sent home. The entire process took the morning.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Why is everyone so opposed to jury duty?

I get called about once a year and never try to get out of it. So far I have yet to be picked for a trial. If I am in the running for one that will be really long I will get out of it due to the impact it will have on my company and employees. But if I get selected for a short one I'll serve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once a year? I've never been called in my entire life. I've always wanted to do jury duty though, sit there looking serious while you're trying to hit on the hot jurer sitting next to you. Then you may get locked with her in a hotel overnight!

I gotta get out more.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can feel confident saying that I pretty much convinced about half the jurors that the defendant was guilty.

The whole experience was eye-opening enough for me where I would never want to go to a jury trial for any litigation I considered important.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is scary how easily people can be convinced of things.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can feel confident saying that I pretty much convinced about half the jurors that the defendant was guilty.

The whole experience was eye-opening enough for me where I would never want to go to a jury trial for any litigation I considered important.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is scary how easily people can be convinced of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

The jury is usually more sympathetic to the defendant, it is usually much better to get a jury than have the judge decide the case...but if you are that nervous, waive your jury rights and have a bench trial...or don't kill anyone
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did jury duty last summer. In Massachusetts, you show up for one day only , which makes it a pleasure to serve. I was called to sit, but the defense attorney used his first objection to get rid of me without cause. I had a feeling that when he looked at my occupation (college professor) I wouldn't last long on the jury. I returned to my seat, and another woman was called. She was smartly dressed in business attire. She barely had ime to get out of her seat before she was dismissed without cause. Apparently, he attorney was looking for a certain type.

Once they had a jury impanelled, we were sent home. The entire process took the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh what???
Old 03-30-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did jury duty last summer. In Massachusetts, you show up for one day only , which makes it a pleasure to serve. I was called to sit, but the defense attorney used his first objection to get rid of me without cause. I had a feeling that when he looked at my occupation (college professor) I wouldn't last long on the jury. I returned to my seat, and another woman was called. She was smartly dressed in business attire. She barely had ime to get out of her seat before she was dismissed without cause. Apparently, he attorney was looking for a certain type.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh what???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's wrong. I was on a 3-day trial in Suffolk County a couple years ago. I even ended up being the jury foreman. The whole process was mildly interesting but mostly impressed upon me a large desire to never be involved as a defendent in such a scenario.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Because it's an idiotic system run by morons. At least it is here in L.A. County. I sat for 6 days when I told them at the beginning I could not be part of a jury for a trial that we were told would last for 3 months. We had to report at 8:45 for a 9:00 start. They "worked" from 9 to 10:15, then a 15 minute break. Then 10:30 to 12, followed by an hour and a half lunch. Then 1:30 to 2:45, another 15 minute break, then 3:00 to 4:00. The lawyers took interminable time questioning jurors, and the judge gave us summaries of how the legal system worked, beginning with the Magna Carta.

When a potential juror, including myself, indicated an unwillingness to serve, through either real objections or feigned ones, the judge spent a half an hour trying to change his or her mind. Why? If I don't want to serve, am I going to do a good, conscientious job? This was a murder trial; a man's life would be at stake.

And then, of course, they let the lawyers decide on who will be on the jury. The lawyers are not disintereseted parties, searching for justice, no matter where that search leads. They want to win. It's like letting Joe Torre and George Steinbrenner pick the umpires: it's very unlikely the Yankees would lose many games that way.

They finally got to me on the 6th day. The case involved circumstantial evidence. I told the judge I would not vote guilty if the case was based on circumstantial evidence. The judge then proposed six or seven hypothetical cases to see if I could consider conviction based on his hypotheticals. I already had told him I wasn't going to serve on this jury. After an hour of gruelling inquiry, I was dismissed.

They were barely one third of the way through the jury pool after six days.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM

"Apparently, the attorney was looking for a certain type."

How can justice possibly be served in such a system?