Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Physics Q

It takes time for the magnetic force to travel through the pane of glass, so the bottom magnet is spinning slightly out of phase with respect to the top magnet. This creates a shear force that acts one way clockwise, and the other way anticlockwise.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Your description sucks.

If down means towards the ground, there's this little thing called gravity. Don't worry, it's baffled folks for centuries.

Left and Right? Well I'm going to say that you are running an imperfect experiment imparting a force on the magnets in the direction you are spinning them.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if I understand what you're doing. You're turning one magnet by hand? And this is the only force you're applying to the magnets beyond the forces already acting upon the magnets while they're at rest? What happens if you rotate clockwise and simultaneously drag the magnets to the left and up? Would they still be moving to the right and down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am spinning the one nearest to me by either using two fingers to twist both sides at the same time or pushing the bottom or top part of magnet to achieve the spinning, which way I do this has NO DIFFERENT EFFECT on the result in which direction the magnet spins. both magnets spin in perfect sync.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your description sucks.

If down means towards the ground, there's this little thing called gravity. Don't worry, it's baffled folks for centuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone please summarise the forces involved that make the magnet either shift left or right in both scenarios

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice if people read questions before providing answers.

[ QUOTE ]

Left and Right? Well I'm going to say that you are running an imperfect experiment imparting a force on the magnets in the direction you are spinning them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It takes time for the magnetic force to travel through the pane of glass, so the bottom magnet is spinning slightly out of phase with respect to the top magnet. This creates a shear force that acts one way clockwise, and the other way anticlockwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no 'bottom magnet' they are side by side, if the picture doesn't demonstrate that clearly, I apologise.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no 'bottom magnet' they are side by side, if the picture doesn't demonstrate that clearly, I apologise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The orientation of the magnets doesn't matter. It still takes time for the magnetic force to travel through the glass; the effect is the same.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Move to SMP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If mods agree please move.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Are the magnets symmetric, not just with each other but about the appropriate rotational axis? That is, if you get rid of the other magnet and just spin ONE of these things around by itself, what does it do? The shape of those looks very similar to a rattleback, which does behave differently, but has a similar built-in asymmetry, I believe.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The orientation of the magnets doesn't matter. It still takes time for the magnetic force to travel through the glass; the effect is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that because the magnets are 'slightly out of phase' there is some sort of mysterious magnetic force that moves the magnet right when going clockwise and left when going anti-clockwise, expand please.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM

They are symmetric as far as I am aware, if I take one away, the other one falls down (obviously?), they are these things if that helps any.