Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Quitting Smoking

[ QUOTE ]
The patch.

The gum is expensive and doesn't last long. I've used every method available save for Zyban and the patch is the only thing that works. Now if only I could not pick up that cigarette 6 months down the line, I'd quit for good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zyban didn't work for me... it made cigarettes taste kind of gross, it gave me cottonmouth and I was kind of angry all the time (probably just as a result of the first two symptoms). As a truly degenerate smoker I just stopped taking it, told my doctor it didn't work. He put me on some potent antidepressants or something, Lexapro... that stuff was a trip, fun for a little bit (had zero effect on my smoking, but it made me happy all day) and then I stopped taking that too, got really depressed, etc. Pills suck for this sort of thing, Zyban = Wellbutrin, which is marketed as an anti-anxiety drug. Any sort of SSRI or anything like that (not sure exactly what Zyban/Wellbutrin is, maybe a MAOI or something?) is going to mess you up more than it's worth. Plus you can't drink on it, sex is no fun/takes forever, etc etc.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:02 PM

I smoked for 20 years and just up and quit one day cause I ran out and didn't want to go to the store. That was a little over 1 year ago and I haven't had a single cig since. I started smoking more weed instead.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I smoked for 20 years and just up and quit one day cause I ran out and didn't want to go to the store. That was a little over 1 year ago and I haven't had a single cig since. I started freebasing instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are *some* social advantages to smoking, at least here in the UK where in bars and clubs a lot of young people still smoke (though even that's soon to be banned).

Smoking gives you an instant way to start a conversation with any other smoker. Such an easy way to start talking to a girl. It's so much harder as a non-smoker.

However, have I ever got laid just because I smoked? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. I have had a girl approach me for a light, and the next night we had sex. I think a lot of girls will tell you that guys smoking looks cool (though some find it a turn off of course). 90% of smokers probably started for the image.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM

I've always wondered why it's so hard to quit. I've never been addicted to anything in my life. I'm sure there is a reason millions of people can't quit, but I'm reminded of the South Park episode where Randy joins AA and insists he can't quit drinking because he has a "disease". The whole episode, Stan is saying "it's very simple, Dad. All you have to do is not drink. That's it."
Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Smoking gives you an instant way to start a conversation with any other smoker. Such an easy way to start talking to a girl. It's so much harder as a non-smoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not harder as a non-smoker. It just requires a bit of effort.

What are you going to talk about? How you are both giving yourself cancer? Wow that is uber cool.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are *some* social advantages to smoking, at least here in the UK where in bars and clubs a lot of young people still smoke (though even that's soon to be banned).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. I have had a girl approach me for a light, and the next night we had sex. I think a lot of girls will tell you that guys smoking looks cool (though some find it a turn off of course). 90% of smokers probably started for the image.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are willing to have sex with a stranger after one day, you might as well smoke as much as you want.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:24 PM

"Hi, have you got a light?" is just so easy. I suppose non-smokers could be "Wow, that's a really nice top you're wearing" or whatever else you might say, I don't know. It requires a lot more effort.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not harder as a non-smoker. It just requires a bit of effort.

What are you going to talk about? How you are both giving yourself cancer? Wow that is uber cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are willing to have sex with a stranger after one day, you might as well smoke as much as you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because protected sex is basically the same as a cancer-inducing agent like cigarettes. OOT is getting lame.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because protected sex is basically the same as a cancer-inducing agent like cigarettes. OOT is getting lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Protected sex doesn't stop all STD's. But hey it's your schlong, not mine.