Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Suggestion for improving micro boards

Bona, here's a scenario:

Two college kids share the same room and both play poker. One is playing right now. Then, he says: "I'm just getting some snacks - I'll be back in 10min. You wanna play?"
The other one goes "Oh, allright." and plays with the other guys account. If he happenes to be a better player than the first one, then the others at the table might have a bit of a problem, but that's not different than just having guy#1 leave the table and guy#2 jump into that exact seat. There is a slight difference as they might have detailed reads on guy#1 that aren't working anymore, but that's probably not too much of an issue at the stakes we're playing.

That is about the worst-case scenario of what a table sweat could be. Most often it's just that one plays and the other says after the hand "Sucks that he had QQ there. I wouldn't have c/r that flop, though, to begin with."
Very often, the action is way too fast to actually recommmend something during the hand.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM

and of course, having a better player look over your shoulder doesn't alter the cards...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously guys, ethics are +ev. That's why id be down for this in any format if i was around....

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Help the weak, getit? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM

How exactly does this work? Are you two on the same table? Seperate tables but observing the other player at their table? Are you chatting with them through Instant Messenger or on the phone? Are you discussing the hand while the hand is occuring (seems like it would be difficult to discuss hands as they were playing out). Or do you just observe a hand being played by your ride-along buddy, and then immediately discuss what occured in that particular hand?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 AM

well there dan, i'm glaaaaad you asked!

could be a number of forms.

easiest is probably for the 'sweater' to observe the hand and chat with the 'sweatee' over instant messenger.

the sweater could tell the sweatee what to do or he could just comment after the hand. up to the partners or the board rules I spose.

if all the comments are post-hand, then there is no ethical issue at all. if there is advice being given during the hand, some folk may take issue.

i spose you could skype if IM is no g00t. that's not a bad idea.

tho i doubt any of you are prepared for my rich, sexy, patrick stewart-like voice. you'll go gay for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM

the other cool thing about sweating is that it could well foster a sense of community, etc between players. you get to know people a bit better when you chat with them on AIM rather than just talking poker on 2p2.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 AM

I'll do a sweat session right now... Leukothea II on PS. IM me at Lengzhai to sweat.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the other cool thing about sweating is that it could well foster a sense of community

[/ QUOTE ]

Ew.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm definitely interested.

My humble suggestion is that we have a combined session review/sweat session sign-up if Housecalls and the mods don't object. Someone would need to come up with the rules, instructions and promo text for the sweat session sign-up.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 PM

Well, THAT is something I wouldn't really like. I don't have a problem (or let's say: just a minor problem) doing a session review for someone I personally dislike (which can even happen over the net). But I def. don't want to sweat someone whom I don't really feel comfortable with.

That's, in my opinion, the one major thing that's going to be hard to "institutionalize": dealing with the personal aspect of it. There are numerous ppl here I'd readily sweat, but not everyone. Maybe a list of available "sweater" is better, and the "sweatees" can then approach them per pm?