Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Single Most Important Peice Of Advice For A Newbie?

[ QUOTE ]
5. Play lots of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP: He means play a lot of *good* hands. Not bad hands.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5. Play lots of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP: He means play a lot of *good* hands. Not bad hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! This is my only real strength at the moment. Had horrible, horrible cards in the tournament i played today, played 14% of hands. Placed, too!

That $1.29 is burning a hole in my pocket...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the most important piece of advice is to play within your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is right on. Many players who are losers could be winners if they tilted less and didn't play too high for their roll.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree that bankroll management is important for a novice.

Bankroll management is for winning players. Losing players will burn through any amount. There is no reason to suppose that a novice who is about to enter his 4th tournament is a winning player, much less one who has a good enugh idea of his win rate to exercise sensible bankroll management. The OP is trying to figure out what poker is, not decide how best to turn pro.

Your bankroll is the total amount of money you are willing to lose playing poker. Bankroll management is based on the idea that losing your bankroll is a disaster. This is very different from the balance of a microstakes player. It's not hard to find another $50 or $500 if you decide poker is a good hobby.

Bankrolls do not convert losing players to winners. Bankrolls are important for professional and semi-pro players playing for substantial stakes, not novices playing for pennies who are still figuring out the basic strategy. It's definitely not the first thing I teach novices about when I teach them how to play poker.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Ah, but it is important if a player wants to NOT re-deposit for quite some time, hehe.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Learn how to break even so that you can afford to play long enough to learn how to win.

Lucky
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Grunge had it. Fold more. Set a list of hands such as AK, AQ, all pairs and don't see any other flops in the first parts of a tourney and all cash games when you are new.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the most important piece of advice is to play within your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is right on. Many players who are losers could be winners if they tilted less and didn't play too high for their roll.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree that bankroll management is important for a novice.

Bankroll management is for winning players. Losing players will burn through any amount. There is no reason to suppose that a novice who is about to enter his 4th tournament is a winning player, much less one who has a good enugh idea of his win rate to exercise sensible bankroll management. The OP is trying to figure out what poker is, not decide how best to turn pro.

Your bankroll is the total amount of money you are willing to lose playing poker. Bankroll management is based on the idea that losing your bankroll is a disaster. This is very different from the balance of a microstakes player. It's not hard to find another $50 or $500 if you decide poker is a good hobby.

Bankrolls do not convert losing players to winners. Bankrolls are important for professional and semi-pro players playing for substantial stakes, not novices playing for pennies who are still figuring out the basic strategy. It's definitely not the first thing I teach novices about when I teach them how to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth is not really captured by the items you chose to quote. I'll try to state it better. Novice players deposit $50 and start playing .5/1 or start at some micro stake, book a few wins and move up without understanding swings at all.

Then the true destroyer of players hits. They go on a bad run, move UP instead of down in an attempt to recoup their losses, go broke and regress as players. This is true not only of novice players but players who've been moderately successful for reasonable lengths of time, even years. One bad run w/o proper management and it's busto. And some never recover from it. They just keep jumping right back to that level they went broke at and stop growing as players.

That's why I think it's the most important advice if I can only give a single piece of advice (as the OP requested) because all the beginners stuff is easily learned if you are serious about the game and results come relatively quickly. More advanced strategy is a broad topic with no one factor standing out to me. But I see many players who play pretty well go broke time and time again because they simply cannot learn to control their bankroll. The long run vision and understanding just doesn't click for them. So it may not be the first thing, but I think there's a strong case for it being the most important and you really can't begin learning it too early.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:44 PM

bankroll
fold
learn from your mistakes
bankroll
fold more
don't worry about results
learn from your mistakes
Nope.. fold it...
bankroll
Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 PM

Play a lot of the cheap sit and go tourneys. You can see a lot of poker hands and gain quite a bit of experience for cheap.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Novice players deposit $50 and start playing .5/1 or start at some micro stake, book a few wins and move up without understanding swings at all. Then the true destroyer of players hits. They go on a bad run, move UP instead of down in an attempt to recoup their losses, go broke and regress as players.

[/ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of poker players do not win. The vast majority of poker money is lost at about the level for which it was deposited. You have described a story which affects a small fraction of winning players, which is therefore a tiny fraction of players overall. It is not close to the most important issue for a novice. Bankroll management is not relevant until you are a winner. Novices are almost all not winners.

There are many common misconceptions in poker. Players often confuse winning chips (good) with bringing chips to the table (neutral). Players constantly blame losses on poor bankroll management and variance without establishing a track record of winning first. The posts saying to skip advice on how to win to get to out-of-context bankroll management hueristics contribute to this misconception. However well intentioned they may be, they are misleading and unhelpful.

I have written hundreds of posts on bankroll management in these forums, and my bankroll management advice is cited in poker wikis, FAQs, etc. I'm telling you that bankroll management is not important for novices, and it is absurd to say that it is the most important thing to tell a poker novice.

Learn to win before worrying about bankroll management, taxes, or how to invest your winnings.

[ QUOTE ]
More advanced strategy is a broad topic with no one factor standing out to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Particular concepts do stand out. In past polls, pot odds won by a lot as the most important poker concept. For novices playing limit, I believe the consensus advice is to focus on playing tightly, but that's not good advice for a NL tournament, which the original poster mentioned.

I've taught novices to beat microstakes limit games in a single lesson. ("Can your hand be beaten by one card?") It would have been ridiculous to substitute bankroll management for that.