Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 10/20 A4H BB

[ QUOTE ]

I think betting out on the flop may be better here since you have a nice draw but also a vulnerable pair that you wouldn't mind protecting. If you get raised and the other player calls you can three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dig it. This is the best flop line.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: 10/20 A4H BB

[ QUOTE ]
I would appreciate if others would give their thoughts on this hand. I am interested to see if my betting was correct, or how others may have played the hand differently:

I am in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], MP raises, 1 LP call, SB folds, I call

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] – I check, MP bets, LP calls, I raise, MP 3 bets, LP folds, I capped – Your thoughts on my play here, was capping the right move?

Turn – 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - I lead out, MP raised, I three bet, he calls – was the three bet the right move here, with the addition of the straight draw?

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - I missed both draws, I checked, MP also checked. He has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] – said he thought I hit 2 pair, that’s why he didn’t bet.

Am I right to be that aggressive with the flush draw on flop, and the addition straight draw on the turn?

Comments \ Suggestions \ Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You gave no player reads, so I'll treat these as unknown players.

Preflop is standard.

Your flop play is fine. Even with this unusually bad (in that he holds the second worst one-pair hand you can be up against) four-flush-plus-pair-and-two-running-straight-draw flop, you've got almost half the equity in the pot. The reraise with a third player in the hand is absolutely mandatory, and the cap is also fine. (Against many of villain's possible holdings (for instance, KK) you've got at least half the pot equity. Go ahead and pound the hell out of it.

Turn: The bet is okay (checking is fine too, especially since you may get a free card if he fears you'll checkraise), but the reraise is not. His raise tells you he has you beat right now and he isn't folding. You've got a lot of draws, but you're still only going to get out ~35% (in this exact case, 25%). With no fold equity, you're spewing.

The river check is correct. Despite the fact that the pot is large, you aren't going to win it. Don't put another bet in.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Fold pre, no cap postflop, no 3 bet turn.

preflop you need one more player in to have a positive expectation. it is only slightly neg ev, but you should be aware of it. that said i am certain that 99% of the players here disagree with me and call from the BB with your hand. interestedly, a suited connector like T9s has a slight positive expectation here.

if i call preflop, i lead post flop. once the 2nd opponent has folded being out of position you no longer have a positive expectation, therefore, i don't cap.

turn: i don't lead. i either check call, or if i have an opponent i think will lay down ak, aq, etc. here i check raise. this is opponent specific. i have to know that it will be difficult for him to call my check raise with only one pair. your 3 bet has a negative expectation here, therefore, i don't like it unless you think he can lay down a hand to the 3 bet. clearly this opponent either had a read on you, or won't lay down a hand even when faced with a lot of pressure. most good players can't like AQ here when 3 bet.
you have a negative expectation here (without the folding equity) when you 3 bet, therefore, it is a mistake.
you are clearly behind (and when he raises the turn you have to wonder if he has a set, again depending on the player).

river: i check call knowing i am probably beat but the pot is to big to fold.