Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: UFC buys Pride

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, as much as I sometimes dislike the 10-point must system it is a cut above the open-ended Japanese system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the 10 point must system for MMA. The judges are too conservative in awarding 10-8 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the problem with both systems is that there aren't any black-and-white guidelines for scoring. But I feel the 10-point must is a more structured and legitimate form of scoring; more emphasis should be put on trying to finish the fight in the 10-point system though - this is the one aspect of Japanese-style scoring I like.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN has recently namedropped MMA/UFC on a couple of their roundtable shows (PTI, etc.) and they will probably start covering the sport legitimately in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]ESPN and I assume other sponsors have been hesitant to get behind UFC because of the presumed violence level. I think they are starting to see its no worse(possibly better?) than boxing. Boxing is very popular in the US, its just popular with the Hispanic crowd. I too would bet that ESPN will start promoting it more. Think about it, whens the last time you brought up a recent boxing match amongst your group of friends? Now think about the last time you brought up a UFC match.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, as much as I sometimes dislike the 10-point must system it is a cut above the open-ended Japanese system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the 10 point must system for MMA. The judges are too conservative in awarding 10-8 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the problem with both systems is that there aren't any black-and-white guidelines for scoring. But I feel the 10-point must is a more structured and legitimate form of scoring; more emphasis should be put on trying to finish the fight in the 10-point system though - this is the one aspect of Japanese-style scoring I like.

[/ QUOTE ]

definetly. It's a matter of time while the judging gets more streamlined and judges understand the game better then you'll see them reward submission attempts more
Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 PM

apparently they're going to keep the pride brand and continue to hold fights that way, while ensuring that they can set up the super-bouts that have been logistically difficult in the past.

Vanderlei-Liddell anyone?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vanderlei-Liddell anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

little to late at this point. if liddell keeps winning, shogun/chuck might be just as big.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Personally, I think boxing style scoring is absurd for 3 round fights.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM

Oops, posting in class, I'm an idiot. What I was trying to say was more like this:
And while Pride fights will remain in a ring, the same weight classes and unified rules used in the United States will be adopted.

“The same game of soccer that we play in the United States is the same game they play in Japan, England, and Brazil, and that’s what we want for mixed martial arts,” said White. “We will follow the unified rules of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.”

Unified rules = good.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Yea, unified rules are good, but eliminating knees to the head on the ground is very bad.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, unified rules are good, but eliminating knees to the head on the ground is very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no choice right now. Unified rules means at a minimum US athletic commission rules must be followed. They don't allow it.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN has recently namedropped MMA/UFC on a couple of their roundtable shows (PTI, etc.) and they will probably start covering the sport legitimately in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you love or hate Sportscenter/ESPN, this is absolutely vital, and I'm really glad to see it.