Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: ATo TP check/raise gets 3-bet

yea, i think we need to call this through.
p.s. i dont iso raise here with a10o unless this guys a total dumbas, and im assuming hes not or this call is super easy.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:30 PM

And he can't have A8 or A9 here b/c.......? I like the turn play a lot here but the problem with that line is that you're stuck calling down a 3 bet and then calling the river. OTOH, if you bet and he raised, you've gotta 3 bet and bet the river so it all comes out the same in the end.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, i think we need to call this through.
p.s. i dont iso raise here with a10o unless this guys a total dumbas, and im assuming hes not or this call is super easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy was an unknown. I don't give anyone any respect until they show me that they deserve it. But I also respect 3-bets from strangers until they show me that I shouldn't.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM

i dont like your cr.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a donk but I agree you want to bet the turn in this hand. I think 2 bets will go in better if you bet/call than if you checkraise and get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually I will just bet the turn. I just mixed it up a bit here, since many villains will bluff at the Ace but may not call a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see nothing wrong with your turn play Drew. Betting the turn is certainly the standard play but there are some villains I would make this type of screw play against and it looks like you made your turn play for the right reasons, but it also looks like you ran into a better hand. No strategy is perfect and obviously what actually happened to you in the hand is the downside of screwplaying with your type of hand but that doesnt make your play in this particular situation incorrect. Depending on the opponent, check/raising the turn may be the line that makes you the most money even factoring in those times you get 3bet pwned by a better hand and call down.

EDIT: I just noticed that the villain was an unknown. Against an unknown I would never screwplay the turn in this spot with this specific hand. I think taking this line against an unknown is not a good idea becuz checking the turn looks too much like a defensive showdown play with a marginal made hand meaning too many opponents will simply check behind on the turn with a wide range of hands. I need a specific read to make the play you made here drew. Another problem with having no read is the fact that you will have no idea how to react to a 3bet.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM

checking the turn is pretty standard for me here. eferyone peels this flop 100% so i either want them to stab or catchup.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checking the turn is pretty standard for me here. eferyone peels this flop 100% so i either want them to stab or catchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just edited my post. I didnt realize the villain was an unknown. I generally dont like screwplaying with this specific hand against an unknown in this spot, but I like your reasons for making this play. If you check the turn are you check/raising? and if you check/raise and the unknown 3bets are you usually calling down?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 PM

i proly cr aq at worst here. often i c/c turn and cr river.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM

c/c c/r river? against an unknown? huh? losing out on money everytime he checks behind on river with a hand he would have called with and often not making any extra unless he's prone to thinking everyone is FOS.

I only like the C/R on turn if we know the opponent and can react with some reasonable certainty to a 3bet. I don't mind checking to invite a stab at the pot, but I think the screwplay doesn't add much value here. I like C/C, B/C or B/C, C/C

Given that the 3clubs is pretty much the worst card in the deck for you at this point, I would fold here much more often than call.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:38 PM

"I like C/C, B/C or B/C, C/C"

I agree. I like Victor's ideas behind check/calling the turn, but I dont like the idea of check/raising the river or check/calling the river against an unknown if we check/call the turn.