Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Buca di Beppo/Chain restaurant review

[ QUOTE ]
Well I have tried it 4x now and I too find Buca's incredibly disappointing. I always think it's a fluke and the next time will be much better, but so far that has not been the case. I tried the chicken cannelloni, the pizza, lasagna and the eggplant. I think my favorite thing was the eggplant. Also, the pictures all over the walls are tacky and unappetizing.

I would love to find someone out there who would discuss Maggiano's with me. Now there's a good Italian restaurant! Anyone else tried it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maggiano's is quite good as is Carrabba's. Not great, by any means, but definitely several steps above Olive Garden, and they're kid-friendly, which is nice.

I found Joe's Crab diappointing, and for the price, not that good a value.

Hooter's is what it is. It's fun, food is decent, not a bad value. Kids and wife have no problem with it, although my 6 year-old son seems a little intimidated by it. Too many pretty girls, and he loves pretty girls.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM

I agree that the food at Maggiano's is noticeably better than that found at Buca di Beppo.

That said, I despise the atmosphere at my local Maggiano's (Friendship Heights, DC). It's extremely dark, and the walkways are too narrow. I feel like I'm eating in a closet.

-McGee
Old 03-27-2007, 04:51 PM

I've only eaten once at Maggiano's in Denver. A bit pricey, but the portions are huge if I remember. Good crispy calamari, and a very good chicken marsala with alfredo. My date also liked her dish, think it was salmon. I remember the atmosphere to be a lot of mahogany and leather, but we sat at the bar. Definitely want to go there again, since there isn't one in Albuquerque.

We do have a Buca di Beppo in ABQ. I've eaten there once, haven't been back since. Thoroughly unimpressed. The spaghetti tasted like it came from a HS fundraiser, and the service was terrible. Would rather go to Olive Garden, which I also rarely go to. Would much rather go to Mac Grill, Carrabba's, or most local Italian places.

ScottieK
Old 03-27-2007, 08:05 PM

Just ate at a Kelsey's (do you have Kelsey's in the USA?)with 7 other people. I had a piece of bruschetta which was very blase and an 8oz steak that was done just as I asked - med rare. It was described as the 2nd most tender cut, after tendreloin. I've certainly had more tender steaks but it was ok. The veggies that came with it were awfull.

I have eaten at Kelsey's several times and am usually dissapointed but I keep ending up there with other people. Sometimes it's ok.

Red Lobster is sort of the same in that people that I don't want to offend drag me there but I find their seafood almost inedible.

Applebees is far better than either of those 2.

I have mostly just had breakfast at Dennys but it was always a decent breakfast.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 PM

I used to work at Buca, the food is very mediocre (spaghetti is disgusting), but they are very accommodating for large groups.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 PM

My recommendations for Maggiano's

Mozzarella Marinara -

Four Cheese Ravioli -

Chicken Saltimbocca, with Prosciutto, Provolone -

Toasted Nonna's Pound Cake - Homemade pound cake toasted and served with caramelized bananas, hot fudge sauce and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Oh my God.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 PM

Bob Evans!
I haven't been to a Bob Evans since I lived in Ohio over 27 years ago. But I have very fond memories of that restaurant! BE's was the special place we would go after church on Sundays. I would have their Fried Mush, which I loved and the best Biscuits ever! Pancakes and all other breakfast stuff was also very good. Gosh I wish there was a Bob Evans close to me!

Cracker Barrel: Love it! Fantastic breakfasts with the second best biscuits in the world and really good grits. I will admit I am not a grits expert but I do like theirs. they serve real maple syrup with their pancakes which I also really like. Their lunches and dinners are fantastic as well. Really good simple country cooking which is my favorite kind of stuff. I also have a soft spot for Cracker Barrel because if I hadn't stopped at one 8 years ago for Breakfast while helping my Father-In-Law move I would never have ended up in Montana. Saw an ad in USA Today while waiting for breakfast and the rest is history.

Hooters: Personally I really like their food. Great wings and their Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is fantastic as well. Pretty waitresses do not hurt either. My wife likes eating there and my 11 year old boy had a pretty darn good time eating there last summer. He also likes the pretty waitresses and they seemed to like him. Kids are chick magnets!

I also tend to like Mom and Pop places that are good.
There is a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant in Billings called El Burrito that is fantastic. Old Mexican women women in the kitchen who do not speak english = really good food, usually.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Our after church breakfast stop was Country Kitchen. They've since changed the menu. I guess there's no going back!

Montana, huh? I've been out your way a couple times in the last year. It's not a chain, but I have to mention the Gun Barrel in Jackson Hole. We had the best steaks there last summer. It makes my mouth water just to think about it! We've done good steakhouses in different locales on vacation, Ruth's Chris, local spots, etc. This one tops the list for the entire family hands down.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 AM

I like the little peg game at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. The biscuits, ham, and eggs are pretty good. The problem with this place is that when I first look at the sign, for some reason, I fail to realize it's a restaurant.

Denny's- moons over my hammy or grand slam breakfast.

P.F. Changs- Beef with Broccoli, Kung Pao scallops, coconut curry noodles, sliced fish looked good (never tried). Anyone try the $20 bass? I tried the salmon the other night and it was so-so. almond-cashew chicken- so-so. Lemon-chicken- pretty good. Lo-mein- pretty good. Chicken Lettuce wraps- very good. The ribs looked really good.
Are the desserts good?

I really used to like that bar at Ruby Tuesdays.

We used to like the chicken salad with mandarin oranges at TGI Fridays.

Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake at Big Boys

How about Andiamo's, anyone?

-J
Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a chain, but I have to mention the Gun Barrel in Jackson Hole. We had the best steaks there last summer. It makes my mouth water just to think about it! We've done good steakhouses in different locales on vacation, Ruth's Chris, local spots, etc. This one tops the list for the entire family hands down.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a name like "Gun Barrel" it's just got to be good!!!