Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Blowing People Off & The Social Balance Sheet

yea, it is a tough situation. the group 3 types who are obnoxious or malicious are the easiest to blow off. its the ones who are socially awkward and just not that fun to hang out with, but nice guys overall that are hard to blow off.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 PM

the douche bags, I have no trouble blowing off, the guys that I used to be friends with but for whatever reason we have fallen out of touch (most of them it is because they became whipped and married), Ill call them up for special events (ie golf tournaments etc), the guys who are just socially akward, Ill tell them Im busy as [censored], but I have previous plans with the friends I hang out with all the time, and that he/she should meet up with us.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call this type of person a "condiment". As in, you'd never eat ketchup or relish by itself but it will enhance other things. In other words, doing something one-on-one with a condiment person usually sucks, but they are a nice add to a group setting.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good analogy, although whether you would do something in a 1 on 1 setting is often highly dependent on the activity and common interests. There are plenty of "type 2" people that I might play tennis or racquetball with but probably wouldn't go see a movie with.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, it is a tough situation. the group 3 types who are obnoxious or malicious are the easiest to blow off. its the ones who are socially awkward and just not that fun to hang out with, but nice guys overall that are hard to blow off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wrote part of my OP with one these type 3 persons in mind. An acquaintance who used to live a few doors down from me is a nice guy but often over-intellectual and socially awkward, as well as being a major liability if there are any women within fifteen feet.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call this type of person a "condiment". As in, you'd never eat ketchup or relish by itself but it will enhance other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I beg to differ. A nice cup of ketchup in the morning helps to start the day off right.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my 'close' friends is clearly a type 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I hope he takes a swing when im done verbally crushing him next time we are out, ill tear his [censored] head off.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i "overstepped the mark" whilst comparing his ex to some heavily obese girl we had been mocking all night

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need a separate thread for "Entire groups of friends who are Type 3s but don't realize it."
Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wrote part of my OP with one these type 3 persons in mind. An acquaintance who used to live a few doors down from me is a nice guy but often over-intellectual and socially awkward, as well as being a major liability if there are any women within fifteen feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll say this much, type 1 or not I wouldn't be your friend.

If you were really "cool", you would be able to hang out with these people without it destroying your coolness. Personally I am friends with some of the most socially awkward people on campus, and I don't see why people shun them so much. Maybe it's because I am a little socially awkward myself, but a lot of people really take themselves too seriously and you seem like that kind of person. Is a little awkwardness really that big of a price to pay for having an interesting, unique friend?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:09 PM

You are neglecting to mention people who are type 2 people in certain situations and type 1's in other situations. I have a friend who is awesome to hang out with, especially when its with the crew. He is one of the people you want to have with you when you are partying with your friends. Take him outside of that circle, and he is quieter and shy. I would say I fall into that category as well, except I am less an introvert then him. I have another friend that could talk to a rock. Both suit the crew well. You can't have that group and have it consist completely of type 1 people. You need a mix of type 1 and 2.

As for type 3 people, I do not hang out with people like that. I consider myself an excellent evaluator of people's personalities. If I sense someone fits that mold, I do not hang out with them. In fact, I generally don't even talk to them, so rarely would the opportunity arise for me to even come close to spending time with them.

That being said, if someone like that calls you, don't answer your phone, and don't return the message. Eventually they will stop calling.