Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: TWIN PEAKS - PILOT

[ QUOTE ]
dom, have you ever seen boxing helena? that's the film that started my infatuation with sherilyn fenn. (that may say some things about me that shouldn't be said, but i'm no psychologist.)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah....really bad movie, IMO...and written and directed by Jennifer Lynch, David's daughter
Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 AM

I'm just too tired to write something deep about this tonight but I just watched the pilot and thought it was pretty interesting. If I can get my hands on season 1 (doubtful) I would be up for discussing it with you guys.

I've never seen Twin Peaks before and didn't know what to expect.

[ QUOTE ]

The pilot does a great job in presenting all this, with a quality and style that you wish you'd see in most feature films. Lynch creates a strange, eerie feel in presenting these small town details, and has enough Lynchian elements (a screaming girl in school for example) to both disconcert and keep you paying close attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. The style is very unusual for a television series. Just strange and fascinating. I rather liked it even though it was campy. It had a strange, eerie feel which completely creeped me out staying up late to watch it by myself. The screaming mother and the crying cop gave me the heebie-geebies. I need one of you guys here to watch it with me. The music didn't help the creepiness factor either.

Like Dom said, the characters are completely unreal (and yeah, Agent Cooper is the coolest) but it works somehow and I can definitely see where I could get hooked. I'm just doubtful I'll be able to find Season 1 so don't want to get too excited about it yet.

(Btw, I don't even know which one was Peggy Lipton but I think her daughter stars in The Office now, right?)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dom, have you ever seen boxing helena? that's the film that started my infatuation with sherilyn fenn. (that may say some things about me that shouldn't be said, but i'm no psychologist.)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah....really bad movie, IMO...and written and directed by Jennifer Lynch, David's daughter

[/ QUOTE ]

what?!? with an imdb rating of 3.7 it can't possibly be bad.

katy, yes, peggy's daughter is on the office.

fun facts, all around.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 AM

Cooper is the coolest. Truman is a pretty cool dude tho, as is Bobby's dad (who we only saw briefly)

overacting? hmmm, well, it's pretty stylised for sure, but I think the only one that didn't work completely was Bobby in places, who did look like an actor overacting in places rather than part of the twin peaks weird (I have no idea if that makes sense).

I was also struck by how young Audrey looked. Audrey was my twin peaks crush, but she looks illegal in that pilot. I'm sure she looks older as it goes on... (I hope I hope I hope).

I was also surprised how wimpy Leo came across as, becuase I remember him being pretty scary...

Looking forward to episode 1....

Katy I'll hold your hand. And one incentive to stay with it. Later in the show, David Duchoovny appears, in the unlikeliest of roles...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: ** TWIN PEAKS: EPISODE BY EPISODE **

I haven't been able to see the Pilot. The university library bought it but has been processing it for the last month or so, I am still waiting for it to be available to check out.
Fortunately, they do have the hard to get Season 1 and I saw all of it (about a month ago), looking forward to the discussions on those episodes. I haven't seen Season 2 yet either because it is in the same situation as the pilot in the university library (bought but not yet processed by the library). I can't wait to continue with the story, then watch the movie (although I heard the movie was not good).
Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 PM

I wasn't the only one creeped out by the ceiling fan, right?

Laura's mom was hilarious in Seinfeld, and is apparently scary as hell in Inland Empire. Come to think of it...isn't Susan's father from Seinfeld also in Twin Peaks?

I did mean Bobby with the overacting, not "Jimmy".
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Oh, it also must be said the music of Twin Peaks is fantastic, as is the general use of sounds.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM

these people are gonna freak when they first see Bob!

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these people are gonna freak when they first see Bob!

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dom

ixnay on the oilerspay

And to be fair, so are we...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 AM

"Fellas, don't drink that coffee! You'd never guess. There was a fish... in the percolator! Sorry..."

Episode 1: Traces to Nowhere

[ QUOTE ]

Synposis

Written by Mark Frost and David Lynch
Directed by Duwayne Dunham.
Original Airdate: April 12, 1990.

FBI Agent Dale Cooper and Sheriff Harry Truman discover more about the troubled secret life of the murdered Laura Palmer; Big Ed Hurley reveals that he was drugged at the Roadhouse; a frightened James Hurley, vengeful Bobby Briggs and Mike Nelson are released from jail; Catherine Martell lays bare her plot to take control of the Packard sawmill.

[/ QUOTE ]

discussion to follow.