Default Re: Jman article in Bluff

lol, did you read the article...?

great article btw best i've read in a long long time
Old 03-23-2007, 05:23 PM

vn, thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 05:34 PM

A good example that I like to give: same game, 100/200, $20k stacks. The button, a good aggressive player, raises to 600 and you call in the BB with 5-5. Flop is Jd10d2h. You check and the button bets $1,000, which he does with almost every hand he raised with. You usually have the best hand. But a fold is still correct. Think about that and make sure you understand. You likely have the best hand, definitely over 65% of the time, and you have over 2:1 pot odds, but a fold is still clearly correct. First of all, you are an underdog to finish the hand ahead. You’re about 44% against a reasonable button-raising range on that flop. Even with the pot odds, which would make the call appear to net you some Galfond Dollars, you have to factor in your opponent’s advantage on later streets because of the examples I gave above.

Is there any situation where you can the flop?I think I have seen calls like that from pros.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a fan of hand range analysis. assigning dollar values to hand range perceptions seems way too subjective to be anywhere near accurately useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're very wrong. playing range vs range is THE correct way to think about nl holdem, especially high stakes on the internet where you play the same very tough players over and over.

great article by the way jman, look forward to seeing more from you.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good example that I like to give: same game, 100/200, $20k stacks. The button, a good aggressive player, raises to 600 and you call in the BB with 5-5. Flop is Jd10d2h. You check and the button bets $1,000, which he does with almost every hand he raised with. You usually have the best hand. But a fold is still correct. Think about that and make sure you understand. You likely have the best hand, definitely over 65% of the time, and you have over 2:1 pot odds, but a fold is still clearly correct. First of all, you are an underdog to finish the hand ahead. You’re about 44% against a reasonable button-raising range on that flop. Even with the pot odds, which would make the call appear to net you some Galfond Dollars, you have to factor in your opponent’s advantage on later streets because of the examples I gave above.

Is there any situation where you can the flop?I think I have seen calls like that from pros.

[/ QUOTE ]the flop isn't an automatic fold unless you also know exactly how he plays the turn after you call.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]the flop isn't an automatic fold unless you also know exactly how he plays the turn after you call.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically if he ever fires a second barrel on the turn or river with an unmade hand and also sometimes valuebets you can't call the flop.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a fan of hand range analysis. assigning dollar values to hand range perceptions seems way too subjective to be anywhere near accurately useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol... and your proposed alternative is?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol... and your proposed alternative is?

[/ QUOTE ]

he puts you ak
Old 03-23-2007, 05:51 PM

hey, bluff wont load for me. which sucks, bc i vv vv want to read this. any ideas? (do i need to be like a bluff member or something?)
Old 03-23-2007, 05:58 PM

probably not a good idea to post the whole article - yeti