Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: UIGEA claims Planet Poker as victim as of March 31st

[ QUOTE ]
Skill,

All I did was post a quote from the Planet website. As it happens, I do NOT think this fortells the ultimate demise of all poker sites.

Milton

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that Milton, it was gaboonviper I was talking about/having a little fun with [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .

SkAll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Remember this Milton: Greatness like mine must be earned....and can never be copied.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the Planet Poker website:

"Planet Poker, the longest running and most trusted Internet cardroom, will be suspending real money operations effective 31 March 2007. Management sincerely regrets making this decision but it has become impossible for a small cardroom to properly service their customers due to the changes caused by the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act in the U.S. "

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Planet Poker. They were in the game early, but they never could get their software to work very well. As I recall, they ultimately hired some consultants to rewrite the entire thing (without telling their current engineers - they didn't want the endless "bug fixing" to slow down). Mind you, this planned rewrite was many, many, many years after it became obvious that their existing system could never be made to work. Even so, they would have succeeded - if the new team had delivered.

RIP Planet Poker, you lovable buffoons.

You were in the absolute right place, at the absolute right time, but with no competent engineers or management. Your heart was in the right place, and you really did try your best. You just weren't very good at what you did.

That damn free market Darwinism. There should be a rule against unscrupulous competent competition taking customers away from lovable perennial screwups.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Internet Poker Natural Selection
Old 03-24-2007, 01:58 AM

Planet Poker was indeed the first online cardroom.

Initially thier RNG was seeded using a small number of seeds. Someone cracked the RNG and for a short time ran amok. Planet caught on quickly and resolved the problem immediately. They didn't try hiding it, they announced that it had been resolved, and players went about thier business.

Sad to see them go.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:23 AM

Luck is the residue of design -- John Milton

Completely off topic, but my favoriate quote of all time.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember this Milton: Greatness like mine must be earned....and can never be copied.

[/ QUOTE ]

... but, it can be improved... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2007, 11:55 AM

You`are a legend in your own mind.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Default LOL @ perhaps the most misused phrase of the year.

"That damn free market Darwinism. There should be a rule against unscrupulous competent competition taking customers away from lovable perennial screwups."

This may be the most mistaken analysis I have ever read on 2+2. Unless you just dropped in on the industry, you should know about the direct, pervasive interference by the government with the operation of a free market for online poker services. Even the title of the thread MIGHT give you a clue. Planet did well in a free market and made millions from offering its services over 9 years.

The decision to shut-down real money poker by Planet was NOT a reaction to competition in a free market. Unless you are completely out of touch, you might be aware of the UIGE Act and its impact on the flow of money and services across US borders. .... Remember Party Poker ? They closed out their US business because of interference with the free market by the US.

(I would venture to guess that the owners of Planet Poker, those "lovable buffoons" probably made more money from doing "very good" at poker in nine years than you will see in a life-time.)

Of course, I could be wrong and, Mr. Cheese, you might be a secret entrepeneur of the century, instead of a wannabe online poker evaluator. Who knows ? (I am often mistaken.)
Old 03-24-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a nice excuse to blame the UIGEA for going out of business, but I am not sure I buy it. Most others servicing U.S. customers have done very well post UIGEA.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought Plant Poker was actually rigged. Not in the running bad way either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Planet was at least 80% props for their last few months.