Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Are you willing to go broke on a TPWK? (NLTRN)

[ QUOTE ]
I think you also misplayed hand 2. You need to bet more on the flop but most important check the turn. If you want to keep the pot small, which is correct, then you don't open yourself to a c-r.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a 1/2 of pot, my standard c bet, whether I miss or hit. I think it is good bet. In tournaments, you bet a little less than in cash games, where I cbet about 2/3 of pot. It also gets the job done and it only has to succed about 3 to 1 times to break even. People are more worried about their chips in tournaments than in cash games because you only have one life in tournies. That is why I feel it is unecessary to bet more.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop expectation in deepstacked HU play means next to nothing

I don't understand this. Anyway you are not that deepstacked and Q7o OOP leads to trouble. A good example is hand 1 where you flop TP and you still have no idea how to play it optimally. It's not your fault. It's just too hard to play it even for the top players.

I must say that my HU experience is in cash games where you normally play 100BB or more stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't ever fold this hand with this stack and I think it is right not to do that. I have 25 bb but this is not so little as in cash games. In cash games, you are considered to play shortstacked if you play with that amount, but tournaments are different, because your opponent also doesn't have a lot more.

You have to play marginal hands well postflop in order to succeed in HU play. That is the tricky thing in HU play and what I am trying to learn with this post. I think if you fold preflop here, you get opponent a chance to steal your blinds and with this blind sizes, you have to see flop with this hand. I don't think it is a good idea to fold preflop. It is a little nitty - sorry to say that, I believe you are not a nit (or maybe I am too loose, I am confused now).
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2007, 08:21 AM

You ask for advice but you are not ready to accept it and you just try to defend your own opinion. Most of your play and also things that you write in your posts show a poor understanding of fundamentals of big bet poker like position, stack sizes, implied odds, pot size control etc.

I'm sure you want to improve and I don't want to be offensive at all. I suggest you to read more the NL forums especially SSNL and maybe post your questions/hands there because there are really good players there that can give you advice.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 AM

You were the only one who responded so I said I don't agree with you which doesn't mean I am being offensive or that I won't accept anyone else's opinion. Of course I accept advices. I just want to have arguments, not something like "I am better than you, so I have right about that." If we argue about something and don't agree with each other, I see it as a good thing, not as an attack.

Peace brother.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 AM

No you were not offensive at all. As I said I'm sure you genuinely want to improve your game and my suggestions were honest with no intention to start flame wars. So, I reiterate, try to seek feedback at SSNL for example because I think you need to understand better the concepts of deeper stack play.

And yes peace.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Deepstack is about 100bb. I understand that. In HU play, the value of hands go down so this hands are good to see a flop with. I didn't mean I was deepstacked, just that I still have chips to manipulate with. I am not a total beginner.

Now back to bussinness. Playing small pots with TPWK.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 PM

I see you hate advice.
The problem is not calling Q7o preflop or not. It's usually bad but let's forget this now

The problem is that you misplayed both hands post flop where any SSNL-er could easily know how to play them and especially why.

Anyway, good luck
Old 03-24-2007, 03:17 PM

I agree almost 100% with what kapw7 has said and recommended throughout the entire thread and you definitely havent been encouraging of advice with your comments. One thing you said in particularly is terribly wrong, you should not defend marginal hands OOP in HU poker, you can but it should definitely be an adjustment from the norm.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:50 PM

So preflop call was bad and I should not be prepared to go broke on both hands. I should check turn in both cases I assume.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Basicaly what kapw said dont call Q7o preflop, once you did make a real raise on the flop I dont hate going broke with this hand vs the right villain but not always. Hand 2 bet bigger on the flop and check the turn and sometimes call river sometimes fold it depending.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 AM

Hand 2: It depends on what? It is the first hand and I don't know anything about villain. So it depends on the size of the bet or any other factor also if you call the river or not?