Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Link Posting in Money Making & Business

Evan,

I agree that there are lots of topics that can be covered to help each other learn. However, just talking theory and experience isn't where business ends. Implementation is a huge step, and it's one that people often need help in getting right.

[ QUOTE ]
Questions about what order to put links on your sidebar or whether or not your CSS layout looks good are ultimately not that important.

[/ QUOTE ]

These questions are extremely important. Layout and element ordering within a page will determine whether your visitors will stay and make a purchase/join your RSS feed/join your newsletter/etc, or if they will not see the aforementioned things because of poor placement. Furthermore, SEO is a huge consideration in getting traffic, and seeing how things are linked, whether headers are used, and many, many more things are all important assets to a successful online business today.

I do understand that 2+2 is interested in promoting its own advertising, and that is a good point. None of us want 2+2 to lose its existing advertisers since the website is such a great resource for poker and beyond. But at the same time, the MM&B forum in particular is losing much of the usefulness that it's had in months prior.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to make a post including a link feel free to PM me and I'm sure we can work out a way to get the important content across without violating 2+2's rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate this, but I still do feel that there are some things that even the most elaborate post won't get across like seeing and experiencing someone's site will be able to accomplish.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to make a post about some of this stuff in the MMB forum later when I get a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I look forward to seeing what you have to contribute. Thanks for input here too.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Yeah, we know it's the rule, but we are requesting a change because that forum should have open discussion of our current projects.

Also, bad threads+good threads >>>>> no threads.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 PM

How will this hurt 2plus2 advertising? I do not get it. Was my site on real estate taking away from your poker rakeback advertising or anything else? Is some guys ms paint war site hurting your advertising? You could make a rule that we cant post links to sites that have adsense up and running at the time. That way people could still look at the content and layout. I just dont get what the big problem is and maybe if you explained it then people in the money making forum would understand.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How will this hurt 2plus2 advertising? I do not get it. Was my site on real estate taking away from your poker rakeback advertising or anything else? Is some guys ms paint war site hurting your advertising? You could make a rule that we cant post links to sites that have adsense up and running at the time. That way people could still look at the content and layout. I just dont get what the big problem is and maybe if you explained it then people in the money making forum would understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thriving forum is really good for 2+2 advertisers.

I can understand if the rule was no posting of personal poker related websites because that is harmful to the advertisers of this site. Everything else that is not in direct competition should be okay. If not, someone should go after those Youtube guys. The constant spamming of Youtube links is destroying the forum's ad revenues!

BTW, I work in advertising for a major automotive, so I have the utmost respect for protecting advertisers' best interests, but I don't think that this is an issue that has a negative affect on advertising.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM

I just read Evans post and I say we listen to what he has to say. Its obvious that 2plus2 will not let us go back to the old way so I say we work with them to make MM&B the best it can be.

I just hope that you remember that the spirit of this forum has always been geared towards internet marketing such as adsense,affiliate programs, website creation, seo ect. There has always been discusion about all types of business but internet marketing and website creation has always been the main focus. I hope we can find a way to not kill this.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Guys, for the sake of making it a little easier for me to communicate to a whole bunch of you would you mind moving this discussion to KLC's thread in MMB? Also, I posted a new, temporary sticky that is relevant to this.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 AM

Not exactly. Do you guys know any good SEO guys? Talk to them about this issue.

Anyone that knows SEO knows that a link from a poker authority site, like 2+2, on targeted 'anchor' text (like "poker blog", "texas holdem calculator", etc) that leads to a page optimized on that text....on a poker-oriented site.....that link is worth a ton.

Given that fact, there is nothing wrong with some guy posting his non-poker link as a URL with no anchor text. He does get a small SEO boost from it. What he really gets is some temporary traffic.

In general, links with specific poker- and gambling- oriented text are highly suspect. The rest of the links people post without anchor text can be considered relatively innocent, although any link from a high page-rank site like 2+2 is going to give you something in terms of SEO, even if the linker (2+2) has absolutely nothing in common with the target URL's content.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone that knows SEO knows that a link from a poker authority site, like 2+2, on targeted 'anchor' text (like "poker blog", "texas holdem calculator", etc) that leads to a page optimized on that text....on a poker-oriented site.....that link is worth a ton.

Given that fact, there is nothing wrong with some guy posting his non-poker link as a URL with no anchor text. He does get a small SEO boost from it. What he really gets is some temporary traffic.

In general, links with specific poker- and gambling- oriented text are highly suspect. The rest of the links people post without anchor text can be considered relatively innocent, although any link from a high page-rank site like 2+2 is going to give you something in terms of SEO, even if the linker (2+2) has absolutely nothing in common with the target URL's content.

[/ QUOTE ]

rel="nofollow" = problem solved.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rel="nofollow" = problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really think it's reasonable for you guys to expect me to check html tags on every link that's posted.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 AM

Isn't that what the notify moderator button is for? 2p2's users are very good about self-policing when the rules are clear. MMB's rules are becoming more clear and I think the regulars would be more than willing to report spammy or anchored links.