Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: AA smooth call in position pf

[ QUOTE ]
Will villain call with a worse hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've underrepped our hand considerably here.

The question is whether:

his calling range > range that beats us (assuming he won't reraise bluff)

I guess it's pretty close but I think a lot of the range that beats us has played this hand differently so he's mostly sitting on QQ/JJ, random aces, and assorted air.

Is there any hand that beats us that will call, but not raise? A9?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM

what exactly is the reasoning for not betting the flop and why does everyone like it?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM

It's terrible to not bet that flop. It's even more terrible that everyone except you likes it.

This is a flop where I will shove most times, because it looks so much like a flush draw with an SC and it would get called by hands like AK, QQ, JJ etc. Of course we are drawing thin to KK.

This hand has to be ended on the flop, there are too many cards we don't want to see on the next streets so get it in now or give it up. Checking behind and "value betting" on later streets is terrible, terrible, terrible. They can play the lottery as well if they like those lines.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:32 PM

It depends on opponents 3bet range in the SB. I think all the people supporting the check have him on AQ+ and TT+. Either we're way behind or not getting any action. Most of the hands we beat are drawing to few outs and are scared of the board QQ,JJ,AQ.

I bet by default, but am trying to rationalize a check here.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM

I think a check here is bad and "he's not calling with worse hands" over-rationalizes this bad play.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...1&fpart=all

fwiw i think AK makes up a decent portion of villian's range and this is not necessarily WA/WB.

Bet the flop.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM

I raise this pre to around 20, I don't think he would fold the most of this range, so build the pot when you are ahead and shove any flop. Calling is fine if he is a 3-bet aggresive monkey or if you think post flop value > preflop value, but I dont think this is the case here.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

this is pretty wierd hand postflop. I would just 4 bet preflop so u don't get into this situation. and yeah it does look like qq or jj so value bet is good folding to check raise.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw i think AK makes up a decent portion of villian's range and this is not necessarily WA/WB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I lose sight of the obv. I don't know why AK just disappeared from his possible range - complete mistake on my part. Although - it is not as likely as usual due to 3 of the 8 cards that make that being used.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what exactly is the reasoning for not betting the flop and why does everyone like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot control. If we are behind already, we don't care about free cards, because it can't get any worse when a spade or broadway falls. If he has a smaller PP, we don't care much either since he is drawing to a set or a gutshot. The only hand we don't want to give a free card to is AsKs and AsQs if that is in his range. And we prevent getting check/raised by a set or AsKs.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:25 PM

How many things are wrong with this hand,

1 - I really think you should 4 bet preflop, I have a feeling you will get called by QQ/KK/AA/AK, and I'm pretty sure the villain has one of these hands.

2 - Why the hell not bet the flop, AK makes up a massive part of his range here, you are betting for value, you are making him pay over the odds to beat your hand, instead of giving him a free card to spike and beat your hand. Yeah if he had KK its WA/WB, but if he had AK and you shut him out right there and he folded and never spiked his 3rd king on the turn, then you have won a pot you should not have.

3 - As played I feel we have to bet the river, if he had a King he would of come out betting the turn. I think you will get looked up by QQ/JJ here because simply he won't think you have AA and won't credit you for a King. I am also betting so he doesnt KNOW I smooth call him with AA preflop, I'd prefer this hand to be resolved without a showdown personally.

4 - As played I'm probably folding at the turn.