Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Colton Orr of the Rangers...

I think Fedoruk has been taking fighting lessons from Mike Peluso.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Fedoruk has been taking fighting lessons from Mike Peluso.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Peluso was the man - yeah, Twist knocked him the [censored] out, but he could throw with anyone.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM

Todd Fedoruk's face plates...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8k3t03fqO9I
Old 03-22-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anything is going to make the NHL revisit the fighting in hockey issue it's this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with this fight. Orr landed a huge bomb with his right hand. It could have just as easily been Orr on the other side of that. Both these guys fight, that's part of their job. This happens, no way does the NHL look into getting rid of fighting cause some dude gets knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

When someone finally gets killed in a fight, the NHL will finally ban fighting altogether. That day is coming soon -- it's really only a matter of time. The players are bigger and stronger today than they have ever been. The blows they rain down on each other are much more powerful than they were back 10, 20, 30 years ago. We are seeing more and more players being knocked unconscious during fights -- which didn't happen nearly as much in the past.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:23 PM

It's pretty hard to kill somebody with your fists without hitting them repeatedly once they are defenseless. This almost never happens in NHL fights. You're also not hitting someone as hard when you're on skates - not planted as well / transferring weight as well. Really good clean shots are the exception, not the norm in these fights. If somebody died in a fight it would probably involve a Bertuzzi-like takedown where their head got smashed into the ice. And such a takedown in a fight would be less likely to be really dangerous because the skating at high speeds factor is not in play.

In short, I'd offer pretty long odds that nobody gets killed in a standard 'goon fight' in the next year, or five for that matter.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 PM

agreed, no one would die from a fight in NHL, fights are broken up before they become too one sided.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty hard to kill somebody with your fists without hitting them repeatedly once they are defenseless. This almost never happens in NHL fights. You're also not hitting someone as hard when you're on skates - not planted as well / transferring weight as well. Really good clean shots are the exception, not the norm in these fights. If somebody died in a fight it would probably involve a Bertuzzi-like takedown where their head got smashed into the ice. And such a takedown in a fight would be less likely to be really dangerous because the skating at high speeds factor is not in play.

In short, I'd offer pretty long odds that nobody gets killed in a standard 'goon fight' in the next year, or five for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. While ol' Glass Jaw Fedoruk has been knocked unconscious twice this year, I can't remember *that* many incidents like this in a regular fight - I want to say either Vandenbussche or Kypreos got KO'd fairly recently, as well as the aformentioned Peluso - fighters are good at protecting themselves and don't often get off this kind of punch.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 PM

Ha ha...great call with Kypreos. That dude had a 11% winning percentage in fights.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha ha...great call with Kypreos. That dude had a 11% winning percentage in fights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kypreos to Darcy Tucker: "How many concussions have you had?"

DT: "One."
NK: "Ok, I've had seven...I make up words..."

Seriously, I've heard an argument that the change in how fights are done has been caused by how fighters have gotten better at throwing punches but not at taking them (ie. Off ice boxing, martial arts, etc).
Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If anything is going to make the NHL revisit the fighting in hockey issue it's this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with this fight. Orr landed a huge bomb with his right hand. It could have just as easily been Orr on the other side of that. Both these guys fight, that's part of their job. This happens, no way does the NHL look into getting rid of fighting cause some dude gets knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody was watching TSN last night when the panel reviewed the fight.

Anyways, I agree, fighting will only stop when someone gets permanently damaged or killed. Albeit, it'd be pretty hard to kill someone, but it could happen.

When someone finally gets killed in a fight, the NHL will finally ban fighting altogether. That day is coming soon -- it's really only a matter of time. The players are bigger and stronger today than they have ever been. The blows they rain down on each other are much more powerful than they were back 10, 20, 30 years ago. We are seeing more and more players being knocked unconscious during fights -- which didn't happen nearly as much in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]