Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I want to kick this guy's ass?
Yes 30 65.22%
No 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Poker = A legitimate profession - please help PROVE this!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
light a $100 bill to start the fire for the tyrannosaurus rex egg you're cooking in front of him.

that'll show him

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. I amend my advice. This is better.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 PM

A profession is what you do to make a living/income, no matter what it may be. I'll share with you a quote you should never forget, ever.

"People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer, guess it's just inferior man." -nasir jones
Old 03-23-2007, 02:03 AM

You're a professional gambler. Get used to it.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
light a $100 bill to start the fire for the tyrannosaurus rex egg you're cooking in front of him.

that'll show him

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. I amend my advice. This is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol <3 this quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:13 PM

You are really fighting an uphill battle here. Your family member is finding it difficult to compare gambling to other forms of 'legitimate' business. When you play poker money changes hands without an exchange of material goods or services. You are just playing a game. Nothing is created. Services are not rendered. There seems to be no fair exchange. The community at large is not benefitting from a poker game.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are really fighting an uphill battle here. Your family member is finding it difficult to compare gambling to other forms of 'legitimate' business. When you play poker money changes hands without an exchange of material goods or services. You are just playing a game. Nothing is created. Services are not rendered. There seems to be no fair exchange. The community at large is not benefitting from a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this argument all the time, and it makes little sense. On its surface, sure, it sounds nice, but as I see it, poker playing is neutral. It does not promote world peace or feed the hungry children, I grant you that. But in today's economy, there are many jobs that are LESS than even EV for the world.

Consider an ad executive trying to figure out how to get fat slobs to eat more McDonalds. That's his job, and it causes heart attacks. That's -EV, but he just created "value" in your view. And if he really really good at his job, a lot more fat slobs will be eating a lot more McDonalds, having a lot more heart attacks.

What about a lawyer representing an insurance company that won't pay claims unless you sue? Another "value adder," I suppose. His relative would be proud of him I suppose. And if he's really good at it, nobody get's paid, neither the deserving and injured nor the faking and money-grubbing.

Options trading? seems neutral at best to me.

Auto executives that push and plan the sale of gas guzzling SUVs? Dad wouldn't question that, either. If they really are good at what they do, and sell vast numbers of these extremely profitable products, their shareholders get rich and greenhouses gases and pollution are way higher than they would be otherwise. Negative EV again.

My point is not to demonize any of these people. Its to point out that the world is a little more complicated than the "get a job and help humanity" line of thinking. Jobs in our economy rarely save the whales, and often hurt them.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this argument all the time, and it makes little sense. On its surface, sure, it sounds nice, but as I see it, poker playing is neutral. It does not promote world peace or feed the hungry children, I grant you that. But in today's economy, there are many jobs that are LESS than even EV for the world.

Consider an ad executive trying to figure out how to get fat slobs to eat more McDonalds. That's his job, and it causes heart attacks. That's -EV, but he just created "value" in your view. And if he really really good at his job, a lot more fat slobs will be eating a lot more McDonalds, having a lot more heart attacks.

What about a lawyer representing an insurance company that won't pay claims unless you sue? Another "value adder," I suppose. His relative would be proud of him I suppose. And if he's really good at it, nobody get's paid, neither the deserving and injured nor the faking and money-grubbing.

Auto executives that push and plan the sale of gas guzzling SUVs? Dad wouldn't question that, either. If they really are good at what they do, and sell vast numbers of these extremely profitable products, their shareholders get rich and greenhouses gases and pollution are way higher than they would be otherwise. Negative EV again.

My point is not to demonize any of these people. Its to point out that the world is a little more complicated than the "get a job and help humanity" line of thinking. Jobs in our economy rarely save the whales, and often hurt them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be one of the best analogy's I have ever heard, can't agree more, nice post.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be one of the best analogy's I have ever heard, can't agree more, nice post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for clarity this wasn't necessarily my point of view, rather I was just repeating an argument I have heard made several times that has some merit.

And I think your responses also make good sense.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with that. Many people see "gambling" professions as doing nothing for the world but they fail to see that in many "real" jobs.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:42 PM

fk them. just keep making money