Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: #2: 44
Play 65 95.59%
Don't play 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: AJo after 6 limpers

no it doesn't. you have a PF equity edge against the junk they're playing, raise for value.

[ QUOTE ]
I severely doubt that it truely matters either way... but SSH says to limp and thats good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 AM

The hand technically has a marginal advantage over the other players, but I still probably limp. Raising does have it's merits as far as taking control of the pot, potentially buying freecards, winning big pots when you hit your hand, etc... but, I'd rather control the pot size and have a better chance of limiting the field postflop with a bet or a raise.

Hand 0: 12.189% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 1: 12.230% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 2: 12.186% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 3: 12.232% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 4: 12.223% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 5: 12.211% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 6: 12.187% { Top 75% of hands }
Hand 7: 14.543% { AJo }
Old 03-23-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no it doesn't. you have a PF equity edge against the junk they're playing, raise for value.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I severely doubt that it truely matters either way... but SSH says to limp and thats good enough for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wait, you might have either a bigger edge postflop, or you might be able to recognize that you don't want to invest more in this pot. Additionally, by raising preflop, you might reduce your edge postflop in the case that you make a one pair hand by giving everyone the proper odds to chase you.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:34 AM

This is an insanely easy limp behind scenario. And even if you argue that you likely have an equity advantage (which I don't agree with), your edge is so small and raising will bloat the pot so much that all you're really accomplishing is increasing your variance.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:04 AM

If the opponents really limp with absolute trash hands like 72o, then they likely chase postflop with hands like bottom pair as well. So I think your overall EV will be higher if you just call preflop, and keep the pot small in most situations. I can only imagine one rare situation when raising is better: if they call preflop with junk, but will fold on the flop frequently when they get proper odds to chase. If they call with semi-junk like J4s or 69o, I think calling is better.

There is one more factor: the preflop equity edge means that everybody goes to the river, including you. The difference between AJo and AKo is not limited to the top pair, top kicker issue. For instance the A AND the K will enable you to continue twice as many single suited or two suited flops than AJo does, when you miss, because K is a stronger flush card of course. I mean when your overcards are probably shaky, you will have more strong backdoor draws with AK, and these draws are usually not strong enough in an unraised pot, but get appropriate potodds in a raised one. This is not true for AJo.

So when you decide whether to raise or not with a hand, besides maximizing your profit when you hit (what you have already mentioned ), you should also maximize your EV when you miss the flop (most of the time), and choose that move which enables you to exploit as good as possible your preflop equity edge in both cases. I think for AJo - comparing to AJo - the raise wouldn't do any good for you when you miss. For AKo it does.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 AM

we have the best position possible on the button. why do we want to mitigate that advantage and level the playing field for the bad players? raising in this spot bloats the pot making it correct for lots of hands to play properly after the flop. they make bigger mistakes if we limp along.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM

100% standard limp. Your preflop edge is to small to raise.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Is this a close borderline decision? I believe SSHE recommends raising it in a loose game, so for what it's worth, this clueness noob does that every single time.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM

Live, I face lots of people who do not raise PF with AK or AQ. That leaves my hand vunerable to painful domination with this many limpers even if the flop spikes an Ace. I love my position in this hand, but it is the possibility of domination that makes this a call for me. Hopefully, I would know which opponents are likely to not raise PF with premium holdings.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM

On the button it's a raise, on the BB/SB it's a check/complete.