Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: 75 Stud Hand

Since by the time the action comes back to you on 3rd street you are already HU, I think you should have raised. Instead, if you just call 3rd street, I certainly think you should have raised his bet on 4th street. Playing it this way either gets him to fold early or better defines the hand for you on later streets. (Jeff, aside from your apparent original plan to raise on 5th street, I certainly would be interested to hear if you had any other reason(s) not to raise on either 3rd or 4th streets.)

As played, I think you should raise the river and fold if he re-raises.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Assumng Villian knows you Jeff, I bet 6th and hope for an easy showdown.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Against a tough player I probably just call here, since there's a chance he's making a play on sixth with trip queens and will now three bet and also a chance he's got two pair or just queens and plans to fold to a raise.

Against a less tough player I raise and expect to be called by queens up a good amount of the time.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, his check on sixth street doesn't really show weakness since that's a logical check raising play.

[/ QUOTE ]

checkraising 6th here is obv horrible. when an opponent checks in this spot with QQ hes doing something retarded almost 100% of the time, or all he has is a pair of Qs. this is not a logical spot to checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but it is a common spot to c/r for aggressive players with Q's up, or a set (possible but unlikely).

[ QUOTE ]

i also think mason is somewhat incorrect in thinking the opponent should fold queens up which is evidenced by the fact that mason says hero needs a very strong hand to raise this river. because of this observation, raising the river is quite suspect, especially after villain checked 6th street with a pair of queens showing. i believe its one of the 2p2 authors who said something along the lines of, if you ever underrepresent your hand, dont fold to a raise... or something. not to mention, hero checked behind 6th which means his hand is very weak at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your in a unique position of entering into Stud at the higher levels first, at the 75 level the player is generally good and suspect of a river raise, but he is also cautious. Unlike Hold'em at similar levels many players (not all of course) will not call a raise with Q's up thinking the hero just got there with a bigger hand. Of course if Jeff had a passive opponent who is showdown bound one then I'd raise the river and fold to a 3-bet but that doesn't seem to be the case, but after Mason's insight I tend to feel comfortable with missing a bet here.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason is right...but the thing is there are players who bet and pay off a raise with Queens up here. Also, if you sometimes make these relatively thin river raises it makes you much tougher to play against.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
solid, aggro player

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this description, I wouldn't categorize the opponent as the payoff type with Q's up.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM

If he is a solid player as you say, do you really think he is making a weird play with a monster on 6th? It seems much more likely he would just bet out as the 7 probably didn't help you and he would want to charge you to draw what you are drawing at...you already called 5th so he has to think you will call a 6th street bet too.

I think its more likely he was stealing the pot on 3rd after he saw there were only a couple people to act (what with the guy folding out of turn) and he just has the bare queens. After realizing you can probably beat queens since you didnt fold to the paired doorcard (assuming he recognizes you as solid) he slowed down. I think when he checks 6th you can almost bet it...surely he would bet queens up on 6th wouldnt he?

If you really think there is a chance of FPS on 6th then maybe just call the river. I think the only way you are beat though is if he got lucky and caught another Q on the river. That all being said, I may just call the river because I would be playing over my head at this game and would puke a bit if I was raised [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 PM

I would love to find the guy who will consistently fold Qs up to a river raise.

Also, Mason, through his writings, seems to take conservative lines.

Setting up a check raise on 6th is pointless. Most players will check behind or bet/fold to a raise. Unlikely 3 Qs risks a free card/missed bet given the way the hand came down. It might be different if our board was K 7 4 4.

I'd still make the raise here.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:42 PM

I like much more action early. I definitely raise the river.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 PM

I can elaborate tomorrow if people want, but I definitely think 6th COULD be a checkraise. I've run that play myself against players that won't fold to a checkraise (which is common in stud, more than holdem in my experience).

Not saying I think he definitely has it or something, but I just call. Not enough value in the raise. Especially since he could still have drawn out on you on the river if he did have just queens before (ace down would certainly be a big part of his non-queens opening range here, plus he could spike a queen or even soemthing weirder).
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After realizing you can probably beat queens since you didnt fold to the paired doorcard (assuming he recognizes you as solid) he slowed down. I think when he checks 6th you can almost bet it...surely he would bet queens up on 6th wouldnt he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming the hero is sane, what hands can he have with a board of 259 calling a bet from someone showing Q3Q, having called on third and fourth. I can see AA, KK, QQ. 22, 55, and 99 in the hole. Would he play 52 or 92 or 95(suited with the 2) that way? What else besides a fancy bluff attempt?

Should villain go for a check-raise on sixth if he puts his opponent on a narrow range consisting of trips or an overpair to queens on fifth and his hand is good against this range?