Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: So I decided to start up a site

[ QUOTE ]
Other people can link to it if they think it contains something worthwhile, but linking to your own site ain't allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad rule. It stifles the types of discussions that have become the niche of this forum while allowing anyone with a gimmick account to post their "friend's" site.

Once someone has XXX number of posts to establish they're not a spammer, they should be allowed to invite comments and criticism of their own site, at least in this forum. Nobody here with their adsense blog is taking revenue away from 2p2 or its advertisers. Driving posters away from the forum, however, is.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Other people can link to it if they think it contains something worthwhile, but linking to your own site ain't allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad rule. It stifles the types of discussions that have become the niche of this forum while allowing anyone with a gimmick account to post their "friend's" site.

Once someone has XXX number of posts to establish they're not a spammer, they should be allowed to invite comments and criticism of their own site, at least in this forum. Nobody here with their adsense blog is taking revenue away from 2p2 or its advertisers. Driving posters away from the forum, however, is.

[/ QUOTE ]
The forum as it currently stands is very low quality. You're all caught up in low level discussion and low return time sucks. There's a lot more opportunity out there for making money and running businesses than gaming adsense.

If you want to have an "Adsensed blog forum" then that's fine, but I don't think that's what 2+2 had in mind when they created it and I don't think it really makes sense for them to keep a forum like that around.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 PM

Yeah still kind of learning how the structure of the page goes as far as where things are, and how they are included with php. I guess just general suggestions on how to make it "better" pretty vague I know.

But it would be look at this site, on the left hand side it would be easier to navigate if the links were color coded with the main topic. Say general gambling yellow, all links in yellow or something along those lines.

I do have dreamweaver......and photoshop just don't really know how to use them yet. I have been using dream weaver for some basic editing functions. Photoshop I'm kind of lost with I couldn't even figure out how to change the color of text lol. But don't be scared I only work in the aerospace industry, and my company has products in 30% of all planes in the air muahahahah.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot more opportunity out there for making money and running businesses than gaming adsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

For better or worse, the focus of this forum for a long time has become e-business, and it's hard to solicit comments and criticism about a site if you can't mention it's address.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 PM

As an example, this was the OP of another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

A friend of mine and I have made a blog (mostly for fun) that takes headline news stories and turns them into haikus.

We have been getting a lot of hits but have no idea how to check to see where the hits are coming from. As in, is our site being linked to by others etc.

Its on blogspot, any ideas?

If anyone is interested in reading it, the link is [deleted] i did the link in white, so that it wouldnt be considered spam.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any reason an OP of:

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

A friend of mine and I have made a blog (mostly for fun) that takes headline news stories and turns them into haikus.

We have been getting a lot of hits but have no idea how to check to see where the hits are coming from. As in, is our site being linked to by others etc.

Its on blogspot, any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't have worked just as well?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot more opportunity out there for making money and running businesses than gaming adsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

For better or worse, the focus of this forum for a long time has become e-business, and it's hard to solicit comments and criticism about a site if you can't mention it's address.

[/ QUOTE ]
First, there's a big difference between talking about e-business and this forum. BIG difference.

Second, it's not hard at all to do it without linking a site. This thread is a great example. The site isn't even relevant since he was asking what he should learn about html and php. Even if the site was specifically relevant, he made it very easy on himself by changing nothing but the color scheme from the pre-packed wordpress defaults. For example, the OP could have been...

"I have a wordpress blog with the default theme right now. I want to learn more about how to design the site, specifically html and php. What are some good resources/tips?"
Old 03-22-2007, 12:44 AM

This forum is going to be absorbed back into finance when we upgrade april 7.

Perhaps it will find its way back in the future and perhaps we will also allow links to sites under construction in the future as well.

For now, the rule which states no links to personal sites stands.