Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: A hand where I bet a lot

Doug, it seems like if you're going to sell this bluff, 3-betting the turn would be a better play. Calling the turn and donking the river usually inspires confused calldowns in my experience. Especially because the 3d couldn't have improved your hand, so this miserable villain will get stubborn, wondering why you didn't 3-bet the turn if you had such a damn good hand, boy.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM

he will never fold in a million years. that said, you describe him as miserable, and miserable guys should be [censored] with.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM

old, miserable guys do not raise the turn, and then fold the river in min bet hold em...ever
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM

man the advice in this forum today is brutal. The whole section is bad !

The absolute ONLY reason to keep going with this hand is to make him fold a Q face up, at which point you show him your 99, and trash talk him for 10 minutes straight. If you want to justify this with implied tilt odds, then go for it. Anything short of that is spewing and marginal.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone. Lets imagine for a moment we're in a world where putting our opponent on a hand range actually matters and we can act accordingly. Just mindlessly counting outs doesn't do much for us here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a big part of his range is a two pair hand, i.e. AQ/AJ/QJ. He may also have something like AT, could he flat call preflop w/ AK?

With the Ah hitting the turn, a flush is less likely since we know he doesn't have a suited ace. Actually, since we hold the 9h, something like T9h, or 98h is not possible either. So while it's possible he has a flush, it is A LOT more likely that he made two pair, maybe flopped a set of 5's. KT for the straight seems an unlikely call preflop.

So against that range (two pair, set of 5's, or top pair), we often have all 11 outs working, and we need to see the river. Also of note: he is never folding those hands for one bet on the river.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone. Lets imagine for a moment we're in a world where putting our opponent on a hand range actually matters and we can act accordingly. Just mindlessly counting outs doesn't do much for us here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a big part of his range is a two pair hand, i.e. AQ/AJ/QJ. He may also have something like AT, could he flat call preflop w/ AK?

With the Ah hitting the turn, a flush is less likely since we know he doesn't have a suited ace. Actually, since we hold the 9h, something like T9h, or 98h is not possible either. So while it's possible he has a flush, it is A LOT more likely that he made two pair, maybe flopped a set of 5's. KT for the straight seems an unlikely call preflop.

So against that range (two pair, set of 5's, or top pair), we often have all 11 outs working, and we need to see the river. Also of note: he is never folding those hands for one bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you feel you're behind and drawing, WHY BET THE TURN ? My god, check/call.

Hey I think his range is 2 pair, let's bet !

come on, this thread is embarassing. Someone nuke it from all existance.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
old, miserable guys do not raise the turn, and then fold the river in min bet hold em...ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the results of this hand, this is very very wrong in Las Vegas. I can't blame you for thinking the way you do, but trust me when I say this is wrong.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM

what's wrong ? I don't follow what you're trying to say.
Are you saying the old guy will fold on the river ? What hand are you saying he folds ?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man the advice in this forum today is brutal. The whole section is bad !

The absolute ONLY reason to keep going with this hand is to make him fold a Q face up, at which point you show him your 99, and trash talk him for 10 minutes straight. If you want to justify this with implied tilt odds, then go for it. Anything short of that is spewing and marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I raise 9h9s in MP (actually, it was 9h8s, but let's leave the preflop out of it).

Hero did not have a pair of 9's, hero had 89 un sooted close enough to pocket 9's. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Corrected to clarify not soooted [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not folding his two pair/flush/whatever hand he has,

[/ QUOTE ]

What flush do you put him on? He might have KhTh, but that makes a royal flush, and people NEVER make royal flushes! You make a royal flush once every 650,000 hands! I like my chances there!

What two pair hands (or set hands) can you put a miserable dude on here? He flat-called on a hyper-drawy flop. Miserable people LOVE to think in terms of pot odds and [censored], and they absolutely despise giving people proper odds to draw out on their strong hand.